Effective September 16, 2019
until return of the incumbent
Competition #: 95-COV-19
Closing Date: Internal applicants – September 6, 2019
External applicants – September 13, 2019
Rate of Pay: $26.28 per hour (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Band: 3 – Schedule A (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Days/Hours: Monday to Friday, 35 hours per week
Reporting to the Administrative Support & Training Coordinator, this position transcribes oral recorded statements made to the RCMP. Through the course of his/her duties, the incumbent will be exposed to graphic and disturbing information. The work is routine and repetitive and requires a significant level of speed and accuracy. Periods of concentrated attentiveness are involved.
- Transcribes witness and warned statements made to the RCMP.
- Coordinates transcription work to ensure detachment priorities are being met.
- Maintains a transcription log for all statements.
- Reviews transcribed statements for completeness, accuracy, grammar, and ensures correct formatting.
- Resolves incomplete information, inaccuracies, and similar inconsistencies within the established guidelines and refers to appropriate staff, when required.
- Ensures statements are purged/deleted from the computer system, when appropriate.
- Covers front counter and switchboard on an ad hoc basis.
- Performs other related duties.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- Completion Office Administration certificate, Legal Secretary certificate or other related education.
- Transcription or related experience.
- Valid B.C. Driver’s License.
- A combination of related education and experience may be considered.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Minimum typing speed – 60wpm.
- Ability to work with limited supervision.
- Possesses demonstrated interpersonal abilities and communicates effectively and tactfully with staff members.
- Ability to operate transcription equipment and relevant software.
- Ability to effectively manage exposure to graphic and disturbing information.
- Ability to concentrate and focus for extended periods of time.
- Sound knowledge and skill in the operation of computers with reasonable speed and accuracy.
- Demonstrated ability using word processing software such as Word and Excel.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Police Information Check.
- Ability to obtain and maintain RCMP - Security Clearance.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of Vernon, using one of the following methods:
Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the on-line Application for Internal Posting form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!