The City of Vernon is working to promote a healthy, enjoyable and safe community by providing the following programs to enhance our urban environment.
Vernon’s Tree Protection Bylaw #4152 restricts damage to trees (including pruning or removal of certain limbs), destruction of trees, and removal of trees. This applies to all trees within the City of Vernon that have a diameter greater than 8cm at 1m above the ground at the base of the tree, except the following:
- Trees on privately-owned land that are contained on any lot zoned R1, R2, R3 and R3 that is less than 1,114 m2 (11,991.14 ft2); or
- Trees that are part of a commercial fruit orchard; or
- Trees that are Hazardous Trees and the damage is done by a utility company.
Tree cutting / removal permits can be sought where a property owner has reason to require damage, destruction or removal of trees in Vernon. In general, each tree removed will need to be replaced by a new tree.
Please refer to the Tree Protection Bylaw for:
- Tree replacement criteria.
- Details about emergency tree removal.
- Specific regulations that apply to logging.