Vernon residents consistently express a desire to ride bicycles more often. Residents have shown a growing interest in the benefits cycling can provide to their lifestyles. These benefits can be wide-ranging:
- Cycling generates no greenhouse gas emissions, improving individual and community footprints.
- Cycling is a cost effective way for commuting to and from work and can significantly lower your gas budget.
- With the constant improvement of bike path and road infrastructure, cycling is becoming a more efficient use of public road space.
- Cycling provides a low impact form of exercise and can increase heart rate and muscle production with minimal strain on joints.
- Including cycling into your lifestyle mitigates stress and adds fun.
However, many residents say they would cycle more if they felt safer, and frequently inquire about safety practices. For these reasons, The City of Vernon is committed to making cycling easier for residents and visitors by providing an extensive network of cycling routes around the city, and promoting safe and healthy travel. The City of Vernon makes cycling a high priority in its transportation plans and provides community bike initiatives and safety programs.
Bike to School and Work Week, May 30 - June 5
Bike to Work and Bike to School Week is a BC wide initiative promoting biking for all ages that creates opportunities for schools and businesses to get involved. Every year, the community involvement has increased.
A great deal of interest from new and prior participants has already started as we lead up to the Bike to Work and School Week. Registration for teams is currently underway! Click here for more information on Bike to Work and Bike to School Week and how to get involved.