During community consultation for various projects in recent years, Vernon residents have consistently expressed a desire to ride bicycles more, but have safety concerns. The City of Vernon has responded by making cycling a high priority in all of its transportation plans.
The City of Vernon is committed to making cycling easier for residents and visitors by providing an extensive network of cycling routes around the city and by promoting safe and healthy travel.
A big heartfelt thank you to Skyride and Sun Country Cycle shops for sponsoring the printing of Vernon's Community Bike Map. The best routes maps for walking will follow once the downtown way finding project is complete.
Benefits of cycling
- No greenhouse gas emissions
- No sticker shock at the pump
- More efficient use of road space
- Higher levels of fitness and lower levels of stress
- Safer streets
Heads Up Cyclists! Be Seen, Be Safe
City of Vernon’s Heads Up campaign is asking drivers, pedestrians and cyclists to keep their heads up as it is a
shared responsibility to prevent collisions.
- Be lit! Wear or carry a light at dusk, in low light or poor weather
- Wear white, bright, reflective clothing
- Cross with care; make eye contact with drivers and wait until traffic has stopped before you cross
- Pay attention; avoid distractions like listening to music
- Be predictable; use bike lanes, shoulders and yield to pedestrians on multi-use paths
- Heads up at intersections
- Stop, look and listen
- Only cycle in crosswalks that have cycle signals or signs with the bike image included
Cycling and Safety
- Maintain your bicycle in good working order
- Be as visible as possible to others; be lit in the day and night
- Learn the skills needed to control your bike
- Cycle in traffic safely and predictably
- Know and obey the rules of the road
More relevant information for Vernon area cyclists: