Emergency Support Services
Emergency Support Services Volunteers :
- Help people meet their basic survival needs during a disaster
- Help people re-establish themselves as quickly as possible after a disaster
- Reunite family members separated by a disaster
- Provide people with accurate and up-to-date information about the situation at hand
Emergency Support Services Volunteers deliver the Provincial Evacuee Living Assistance benefits which can provide temporary relief (often up to 72 hours) to residents evacuated from their homes so they can begin to plan their next steps after being impacted by an emergency.
- provide access to temporary resources for evacuees
- establish supplier arrangements for restaurants, grocery and clothing stores, hotels, etc.
- activate predesignated facilities for Reception Center and/or Group Lodgings as safe places for evacuees to receive information and assistance
The Vernon ESS team relies on volunteers to work as part of a team. Similar to other emergency responders, between events we prepare, plan, train and practice our ability to respond in a timely, competent manner.
The team meets monthly (the 3rd Wednesday of the month between September and June) at the OK Landing Conference and ESS Building, 7210 Okanagan Landing Road, Vernon BC.
ESS volunteers are provided specialized ESS training . Training is delivered on-line and/or through classroom sessions hosted by Vernon ESS or a neighbouring team.
Within the first three months of joining Vernon ESS, all volunteers are expected to complete:
And, within the first two years the following additional training:
- EMRG-1607 - Level One Response
- EMRG-1610 - Introduction to Reception Centres
- EMRG-1615 - Registration & Referrals
Volunteers will be eligible to participate in additional training that may include:
- EMRG-1611 - Reception Centre Applied Training
- EMRG-1612 - Introduction to Group Lodging
- EMRG-1613 - Group Lodging Applied Training
- EMRG-1624 - Resource Acquisition
- EMRG-1645 - Managing Walk-In Disaster Volunteers
- EMRG-1660 - Public Safety Lifeline Leadership
- EMRG-1671 - Emergency Social Services Site Management