Utilities Billing & Payments


The City of Vernon prepares quarterly utility invoices for water, sewer, garbage, and recycling customers. Approximately 14,000 invoices are sent to customers as follows:

Billing PeriodMonth To Expect BillMonth Of Due Date
(30+ Days After Issuance)
Jan 1 - Mar 31AprilMay
Apr 1 - Jun 30JulyAugust
Jul 1 - Sep 30OctoberNovember
Oct 1 - Dec 31JanuaryFebruary


Utility payments can be made online and through your financial institution or bank.

Financial Institution Payments

When paying your utilities through your financial institution, please follow these instructions:

  1. Use your Utility Number as your account number
    • Example 112233
  2. Search for payee “VERNON”
  3. Select “Utilities” or “Sewer & Water”
  4. The city encourages you to make a small payment of $10.00 to ensure your online setup is accurate. You can confirm your payment was received through “My City”.

If you experience difficulties with setup, please contact your financial institution for assistance.

Utilities Billing & Payments Questions & Answers
I’ve purchased a new home and need to start an account, or I’m moving and need to stop my account?

The utility account stays with the property.  The Statement of Adjustments you received from your lawyer or notary during the purchase or sale of your home, shows the adjustment made to your utility account.  The City does not read meters when ownership changes.

Please contact your lawyer if you have any questions about your statement of adjustments.

I’m moving and/or sold my property and I’m currently signed up on the Utility Auto-Debit Withdrawal Program.  Is there anything I need to do?

Yes, you will need to cancel the monthly Auto-Debit withdrawal payments with the City.  You can do this by either:

The cancellation form must be received in the Finance Department by the 10th of the month; in order to stop the auto withdrawal from occurring on the 15th of the month.

I’ve moved or will be moving and need to change my mailing address for my utility bill?

If your mailing address is changing, please complete the City’s address change form.
Please Note:  If you are changing your address because you have sold your home, please see the above question “I’ve purchased a new home and need to start an account, or I’m moving and need to stop my account?”

Can I get my invoice emailed to me?

Yes, the City has the ability to email your utility invoice.  To have your utility invoices mailed to you, you can create a MyCity account and sign up for eBilling on your MyCity Account. For Detailed instructions on creating your MyCity account or signing up for eBilling please visit the MyCity page.

Can I look at my utility bill online?

Yes, you can view your utility account online by creating a MyCity account. MyCity is a secure, all-in-one, online service that provides home owners and businesses access to information about their utility account(s) online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  It’s easy to use and all information is protected by private access codes.

Through MyCity, you can see your utility bill(s), payment(s) and water consumption history up to seven (7) years. To create an account, all you need is the following:

  • An email address
  • Your utility account number and access code (which can be found on your utility invoice)

Please visit the MyCity page to learn more.

Why is my sewer based on the first quarter's water consumption?

The City of Vernon uses the first quarter’s (January-February-March) water consumption to get a more accurate picture of how much water is being used in the household, to ensure no irrigation or outside water is being used.

Do you accept credit cards?

Unfortunately, in order to keep costs down, credit cards are not accepted.

Where can I pay my utility bill?

Your utility bill can be paid in one of the following ways:

  • In person at City Hall - 3400 30th Street
  • The City’s auto-debit program, where the City automatically withdraws the amount due on the utility due date
  • Most major banks, trust companies and credit unions through out Canada
  • Online or telephone banking
  • Regular mail
  • The drop box located inside City Hall
  • After hours at the drop box located outside the City Hall front entrance doors.
What if my utility bill is not paid?

Unpaid utility invoices are carried over to the next billing period and interest is calculated every billing period at an interest rate of 12%.  Any unpaid utilities as of December 31st are automatically transferred to your property tax account as arrears and are subject to daily interest.  The property tax arrears interest rate is set by the Province every January 1st, May 1st and September 1st.