The objectives of the City's Transportation department include:
- Delivering a financially sustainable, integrated transportation network for Vernon.
- Promoting community safety, health and quality of life while reducing the environmental impact of transportation.
- Increasing community awareness of the benefits of using alternative transportation.
- Increasing travel options through improvements to public transit and providing fully connected walking, cycling and trail networks.
- Providing access to services, goods and activities to maintain a safe, efficient and cost effective network for all modes of travel over the short and long term as Vernon grows.
- Maximizing the benefits of transportation investments by integrating them with land use planning and the development of the City Centre and neighbourhood centres in a manner that promotes community safety and provides transportation choice.