Protective Services - Community Safety
Community Safety performs more than just the traditional Community Policing role. This group unites the local government, the community and the police in their efforts to make Vernon a safer community to live in through locally based policing and safety initiatives.
We strive to:
- Reduce occurrence of crime through proven crime prevention methods and the development of new programs suited to actual needs.
- Reduce the fear of crime by establishing good communications between residents, businesses and community groups.
- Increase public awareness of crime issues through effective use of media and other available means.
- Increase community accessibility to police services.
- Increase community involvement in the development and delivery of crime prevention.
- Increase program delivery and services to the elderly.
- Increase citizen involvement in crime prevention activities through the use of trained and dedicated volunteer community members.
- Increase community education and awareness surrounding both Provincial and Municipal legislation that ensures a higher level of public safety.