We respect the privacy of all our visitors, and any information retained will only be used to assist us in creating a better website to meet user's needs.
As a local public body, the City of Vernon is subjected to the British Columbia Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIP).
Terms & Conditions
- The City of Vernon grants you a limited non-exclusive, non-transferrable license to access and make personal use of this website.
This license does not include any right for resale or commercial use.
You acknowledge only a limited right to the use of this website, and have no rights to the intellectual property associated with this website.
You agree not to violate (or attempt to violate) the security of this website by hacking, cracking, mail bombing, mounting a denial of service attack, breaching of etiquette or any other similar careless, malicious or negligent conduct.
You acknowledge that the City of Vernon does not warrant the accuracy or availability of this website.
You agree to grant the City of Vernon all intellectual property rights to the content of any e-mail and/or other form of written contact that you submit to the City, either directly or through a website submittal process.
You agree to be bound by the laws applicable in British Columbia with respect to your use of the website, and you agree that any court proceedings relating to your use of the website will take place in the Judicial District of Vernon.
Personal information is defined as information that identifies you as an individual and encompasses any information collected with your permission. The City of Vernon will not automatically gather any personal information from you, unless it is supplied voluntarily to the City by contacting us via e-mail, or by registering in a secure portion of the site. Any personal information you provide will be managed in accordance with the British Columbia Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIP).
When you provide any personal information, you will be informed of the purpose for which it is being collected, and of the right you have to access this information at any time.
Please note that public input or feedback in the form of letters, emails, etc. may become a public record, such as publishing in a Council Agenda Package.
This Web site uses “cookies”. Cookies are small amounts of information that are distributed to web browsers to assist you when you return to this site or a specific area on this site. Cookies created on your computer by using this website do not contain any information that can be used to personally identify you, and do not compromise your privacy or security. You can refuse or delete the cookie file from your computer by using your web browser software.
Privacy and Links to Other Sites
The City of Vernon owns and operates two websites for the purposes of providing information and services to citizens, staff, businesses, investors, visitors and other stakeholders. It is essential that the City's websites provide stakeholders with information and services that are accurate, up-to-date, visually pleasing, easy-to-read and easy-to-find.
In addition to information and services pertaining to The Corporation of the City of Vernon, the City's website may also contain information that a reader should reasonably expect to find on municipal government websites. In addition, the City of Vernon website includes links to other orders of government, community groups that receive support from the City, Vernon-based professional organizations, Vernon-based cultural and tourism centres and organizations, events posted to the community calendar, partnering agencies on City of Vernon projects and service clubs.
All content (text and visual) on the website should contribute to a professional and unified corporate brand as identified in the City of Vernon Strategic Communication Plan, City of Vernon Visual Identity Standards and Website Governance Guide.
There are specific parameters under which the City will post content from a third-party organization on its municipally owned and operated website. This applies to the website owned and operated by the City of Vernon, including redirects or aliases.
These parameters do not apply to www.TourismVernon.com, which operates under different agreements with tourism partners and advertisers.
Posting External Links:
The City of Vernon will consider posting external links on its websites if the link is directed to the website of:
- An official government website (municipal, regional, provincial, federal).
- A government-funded agency or board.
- A City of Vernon affiliated organization.
- An organization receiving a City of Vernon community grant.
- Service clubs operating in the City of Vernon who perform service work related to City of Vernon initiatives or events.
- A major community tourist or cultural attraction as determined solely by the City of Vernon.
- A professional association.
- A business, organization or association working in partnership with the City of Vernon.
- A company that has tendered to work with the City.
- Artist-in-residence, and artists commissioned by the City of Vernon to create and/or display public art.
- Events that are posted to the www.vernon.ca community calendar (note: the calendar is populated by members of the public submitting their events that are approved by internal City of Vernon staff).
- Organizations or initiatives referred to in a City of Vernon media release.
The City will not consider posting external links on its websites to:
- Personal websites.
- Business or service club websites that are not performing service work related to the City of Vernon.
- Political parties or sites that are of a clear political nature.
Notwithstanding the criteria listed above, the City reserves the right to post, or refuse to post any external links on its website or to delete links already posted on its site at any time, without notice.
Removing external links:
External links will be removed by the City without notice if, but not limited to, any of the following conditions apply:
- The site's original information has been altered and the context of the information has changed;
- The site no longer meets the conditions listed above for acceptable external links;
- In the City's sole opinion, the information on the site becomes inaccurate and/or not trustworthy;
- Page formatting, lengthy download items or intrusive advertising make accessing information difficult;
- The link returns a "not found" error for more than 72 hours;
- The link promotes, exhibits, illustrates or manifests hate or obscene/pornographic/sexual content of any kind;
- The site and content violate the City’s anti-bullying and harassment policies or in other ways does not conform to the City’s goals of inclusion;
- The site and content does not comply with municipal, provincial or federal legislation.
Requesting an external link:
Requests to add an external link to the City's website, according to the criteria listed above, are to be submitted by email for consideration to the Communications Officer.
External link policy enforcement:
All sites may be reviewed by City staff to ensure that, in the sole opinion and discretion of the City, they meet and are in keeping with the above criteria.
Enforcement of the above linking policy and the decision on whether or not to add, remove or deny an external link on the City's website will be made by the Communications Officer, in consultation with the Director of Corporate Services when necessary.
Community calendar postings:
City of Vernon staff and members of the public post information regarding activities, programs, meetings, events and festivals on the City of Vernon website calendar. The City reserves the right to post any additional events to its website calendar it deems to be in the community's interest.
Criteria for publishing events on the community calendar:
Members of the public may submit event information for inclusion on the City's website calendar if that event is open to the general public and occurs within the boundaries of the Regional District of the North Okanagan.
Events submitted by the public will not be published on the City's website calendar if they:
- Promote, exhibit, illustrate or manifest hate or obscene / pornographic / sexual content of any kind.
- Do not comply with municipal, provincial or federal legislation.
- Promote an individual religion or religious service.
Events deemed by the City to be political in nature will not be posted after the writ has been dropped for a federal or provincial election, or after the first day of a municipal election year.
Notwithstanding the criteria listed above, the City reserves the right to post, refuse to post, or remove, any event from its website calendar at any time, without notice.
Submitting an event to the community calendar:
Requests from a member of the public to add an event to the City's website calendar must be submitted directly through the calendar itself.
To be considered for publication, an event submission must be accompanied by a name and contact information of an individual from the event organizing committee. Anonymous postings of events will not be published.
Policy enforcement of community calendar:
All events submitted by a member of the public for publication on the City's website calendar will be reviewed by City staff to ensure that, in the sole opinion and discretion of the City of Vernon, the event meets or is in keeping with the intent of the above criteria.
Decisions on whether or not to add, remove or deny the posting of an event to the City's website calendar will be made by the Communication Officer, in consultation with the Director of Corporate Services when necessary.
This website contains links to other websites. The City of Vernon does not endorse or make any representation or warranty, expressed or implied, concerning the accuracy, quality or reliability of information contained on externally linked websites or posted on the City's community calendar that has been submitted by a member of the public.
The City of Vernon does not endorse any products or services that may be referenced or linked on this website. We welcome feedback on this statement, and would be happy to answer any questions you may have.