Bylaw Compliance Services

Bylaw Services

Contact the Bylaw Office at 250-550-3505

or Complete the Attached Form.

Contact Bylaw Compliance

Municipal bylaws set standards for the community and are an important tool to set boundaries in acceptable behaviour and values. Bylaw Compliance Officers investigate complaints received from the public about alleged violations of the various bylaws enacted by the City of Vernon. These include approximately 27 Regulatory Bylaws, which include Business Licensing #5480, Parks and Public Places Bylaw #5057, Good Neighbour #4980, Zoning Bylaw #5000 and others.

In addition, officers enforce the Traffic Bylaw #5600, which includes parking, in order to ensure safety for our residents and to ensure sufficient parking spaces for our downtown businesses. These regulations include such things as parking too close to a fire hydrant, stop sign or crosswalk, as well as parking adjacent to yellow lines.

The goal of the Bylaw Compliance department is voluntary compliance with the City of Vernon’s regulatory bylaws through education, to benefit citizens, businesses and the community.

Is it actually the Bylaw Office you need?

Sometimes it's hard to know when to call Bylaw, the RCMP or another City of Vernon department when there is not an emergency. Please continue to use 911 for all emergencies such as medical, large fires (structures, forests, etc) and when a major crime has taken place.

When to call Bylaw (250-550-3505)

Parking Issues on Public Property, such as:

  • someone blocking a driveway 
  • a vehicle parked for multiple days on the street 
  • vehicles parked without valid insurance or plates 

Neighbouring Property Issues, such as:

  • noxious weeds  
  • overgrown yard 
  • vehicles parked on a front yard 
  • noise  
  • shoveling snow into roadway

Street Entrenched Issues, such as:  

  • people with structures up in public areas 
  • panhandling where restricted  
  • after 4:00pm and weekends needle pick up requests 

Ticket Issues, such as:

  • not understanding why you were ticketed 
  • questions about how to pay the ticket

*** you do not need to call the office before you appeal a ticket, you can simply appeal online or in person within the first 14 days of receiving the original ticket

Back Yard Fires or Camp Fires on City Property 


When to call Operations/Public Works (250-549-6757)
  • Shopping carts left on public property like sidewalks, roads, in parks
  • Abandoned camps in City parks and boulevards
  • Roadway potholes 
  • Damage to City property 
  • Water main breaks 
  • Snow ploughing/sanding and road sweeping
When to call the RCMP non-emergency (250-545-7171)
  • People on your private property (even the street entrenched)
  • Stolen or found property 
  • Moving vehicle violations, such as u-turns and speeding
  • Open illegal drug use
When to call the Community Safety Office (250-550-7840)
  • Graffiti on City property
  • Needle pick up requests before 4:00pm Monday to Friday
  • Crime prevention tips
  • Witnessing suspicious activity
When to call Dog Control (250-545-8070)
  • Dogs barking
  • Dogs off leash
  • Dogs on the beach or in a restricted area
  • Dog attacks