Walking is a safe, pleasant way to get around Vernon. The city offers an extensive sidewalk and pathway network that is growing every year. Vernon residents consistently express their desire to have a more walkable city. By focusing on creating places that are safe and pleasant to walk in, we can realize the vision the community has for the city.
A walkable city provides many benefits to its residents:
- Lower greenhouse gas emissions
- Greater mobility for seniors and youth
- Higher levels of fitness, and lower stress
- Safer streets
- Fewer cars on the road
Click image to view the map
Heads Up Pedestrians! Be Seen, Be Safe.
City of Vernon’s Heads Up campaign is asking drivers, pedestrians and cyclists to keep their heads up as it is a shared responsibility to prevent collisions.
- Be lit! Wear or carry a light at dusk, in low light or poor weather; wear white, bright reflective clothing
- Cross with care; make eye contact with drivers and wait until traffic has stopped before you cross
- Pay attention; avoid distractions like texting
- Be predictable; use crosswalks and intersections; never jaywalk
- Heads up at intersections; stop, look and listen
- Look both ways; don’t start to cross on a flashing hand
- Countdown timers tell you how long you have left to cross