The City of Vernon offers limited commercial garbage collection services through its contractor, Emterra Environmental. Commercial customers participate in the loose bag collection program, which offers a limited number of bags to be collected once per week.
Commercial, industrial and institutional customers that choose to use a commercial bin program are responsible for making their own arrangements with a private waste collection provider.
The City of Vernon provides a mandatory recycling service to the commercial and industrial properties within the municipal boundary, with the exception of Blue Jay, Foothills, Predator Ridge, Turtle Mountain, and Okanagan Landing past the Yacht Club.
Commercial recycling is collected by the City’s contractor, Emterra Environmental, one (1) time per week on Wednesdays only. Businesses who have excess material can register for two (2) times per week collection on Wednesdays and Fridays.
Do you have questions about pick-up times or locations for commercial garbage and recycling? Contact Emterra Environmental at 250 545-4245, or toll free at 1-888-609-2645. Office hours are Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Safety Reminders for Commercial Customers
Piles of garbage and recycling left outside for a period of time can pose a serious fire hazard and safety risk. If a fire happens near or against a building, it could lead to significant property damage or risk to human life. However, we can all take simple steps to help keep our businesses and community safe.
- The City of Vernon Solid Waste Bylaw #5911 specifies the times that garbage and recycling material can be placed out for collection.
- Please place material out ONLY on the day of collection prior to 7:00 a.m.
- Businesses located within the Business Improvement Area (BIA) must place material in Downtown laneways and alleys for collection ONLY on the day of collection prior to 10:00 a.m.
The City of Vernon Fire Services Bylaw #5635 outlines fire prevention regulations as they relate to accumulation of combustible materials and placement of refuse/garbage containers.
Here are some tips to help keep people and property safe:
- Put out garbage and recycling as close to collection time as possible; do not place materials outside the night before.
- Keep exterior spaces clean and tidy.
- Place bags closely together and bundle cardboard as noted above (2’ x 3’ x 6”).
- Do not allow garbage or combustible materials to accumulate.
- If a bag is missed during collection, bring it back inside until the next designated collection day and time.
- Keep garbage bins away from buildings as best as possible, while still keeping them on private property.
- Do not leave pallets outside. Have them collected or dispose of them immediately.
- Help your neighbours. Assist with tidying recycling if it becomes scattered prior to collection.