What to Do If you find a Discarded Needle or other Drug Paraphernalia:
Folks on Spokes
The Sharps Hotline number is 250-550-7841. It will be monitored from 8 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. Monday to Friday.
When needles are discarded improperly, it creates a sense of fear and uncertainty for the general public. While the majority of needles distributed in the community are returned by the consumer by using sharps containers, accessible drop boxes, drop off locations and community clean ups; when needles are found improperly discarded in the community it creates a sense of fear and uncertainty. The anxiety created by an accidental needle stick injury is significant and cannot be ignored even though the likely hood of contracting a disease is low.
Sharps can be disposed of by putting it into a metal or hard plastic container with a lid. A drink container or coffee can with a lid for example.
What to Do if you find a needle:
- Do not try to recap, bend or break off the needle.
- Place the container close to the sharp.
- With the needle pointing downwards, pick up the needle using rubber gloves tweezers or tongs. Keep the sharp end away from you.
- Place the needle in the container, sharp end down, place the lid on the container.
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Drop closed container off to any Interior Health Facility, the Community Safety Office or Pharmacy.