FireSmart is living with and managing for wildfire on our landscape. Preparing for the threat of wildfire is a shared responsibility. From home owners, to industry and government we all have responsibility to lessen the effects of wildfire.
Is your neighbourhood FireSmart?
Join the growing list of BC communities that are FireSmart Recognized Neighbourhoods by demonstrating they are taking the steps necessary to build truly wildfire resilient neighbourhoods.
Contact the FireSmart Coordinator today to get started!
If your neighbourhood, subdivision or small town is prone to wildfire, then you can get FireSmart recognition status by meeting the following criteria:
- Enlisting a wildland/urban interface specialist to complete an assessment and create a plan that identifies locally agreed-upon solutions that the neighbourhood can implement.
- Sponsoring a local FireSmart committee, which maintains the FireSmart Neighbourhood Plan and tracks its progress or status.
- Conducting FireSmart events each year that are dedicated to a local FireSmart project.
- Investing a minimum of $2 per capita annually in local FireSmart Neighbourhood efforts.
- Submitting an annual report to FireSmart Canada that documents continuing compliance with the program.