Climate Action Advisory Committee
Council has endorsed the creation of a new Climate Action Advisory Committee to address climate change in the community. Over the next two years, the task force will develop a series of recommendations for Council's consideration with regard to setting greenhouse gas emission reduction targets, developing strategies to meet those targets, growing community awareness about climate action and addressing other climate change matters.
- The Terms of Reference is available on the Climate Action Advisory webpage.
- The committee will meet 4 - 6 times per year, additional meetings may be called if necessary.
Climate Action Charter
The City of Vernon became a signatory of the British Columbia Climate Action Charter in 2008. As a participating municipality, Vernon is committed to lowering greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, taking actions that demonstrate leadership on sustainable development, reporting annually on the City’s progress towards these goals and achieving carbon neutrality in corporate emissions.
Since 2010, Vernon has reported annually on the City's corporate and community wide climate action and sustainability initiatives. For the 2016 reporting year, the City has achieved "Level 3: Accelerating Progress on Charter Commitments" recognition as part of the Provincial-UBCM Green Communities Committee (GCC) Climate Action Recognition Program for BC local governments.
Vernon's recent Climate Action reports are available below:
- 2017 CARIP Climate Action and Carbon Neutral Progress Survey
- 2016 CARIP Climate Action and Carbon Neutral Progress Survey
- 2015 CARIP Climate Action and Carbon Neutral Progress Survey
- 2014 CARIP Climate Action and Carbon Neutral Progress Survey
Questions? Contact Laurie Cordell, Long Range Planning & Sustainability, 250-550-3247 or firstname.lastname@example.org.