Be part of a dynamic team responsible for teaching fun and creative Learn to Skate and/or Learn to Play Hockey programs here at Recreation Services. Our Department is currently looking for self-motivated, responsible, energetic and enthusiastic skaters with strong interpersonal skills to plan and lead structured lessons for children and adults working on a casual basis as Skating Instructors.
This is recreation work that involves instructing skate programs, preparing individual program plans and promoting interest and encouraging participation in program activity. Instructors ensure that participants have a positive experience and are performing the skills in a safe manner as set out in the established programs. Work is performed under general supervision and is evaluated by a supervisor in terms of effectiveness of instruction and services provided and conformance to established practices.
ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLES OF WORK
- Instructs programs, such as learn to skate, learn to play hockey and the basics of other arena sports, using techniques in compliance with program standards.
- Performs set up and take down of equipment.
- Checks that equipment is in good working order by making minor adjustments and informing supervisors when repairs are required.
- Demonstrates skating techniques to individuals and groups of all ages and abilities.
- Fills out progress cards at the end of each session, evaluating skaters on a variety of criteria.
- Prepares individual program plans for review by a supervisor.
- Performs other related duties as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS
- Sound knowledge of the methods used to instruct skating skills.
- Working knowledge of the theory of body mechanics and movement related to skating.
- Demonstrated ability to skate proficiently.
- Ability to provide instruction in a fun, safe, controlled and organized manner.
- Ability to answer general questions related to ice programs, arena sports and skating equipment.
- Ability to understand, follow and carry out oral and written communications.
- Ability to effectively communicate, instruct and demonstrate ice skating skills and techniques to a diverse range of individuals and groups of all ages and abilities.
- Ability to maintain control and exercise influence with tact and diplomacy in a professional and calm manner.
In your cover letter or email please indicate your availability for the shifts listed below from September to March:
- Mondays and Wednesday 3:00-5:00 p.m.
- Thursdays 3:15-4:45 p.m.
- Saturdays 1:15-4:45 p.m. (November to February)
Qualified individuals should submit their resume to: Recreation Services, 3310 37th Ave, Vernon, BC V1T 2Y5 with ATTN: Mike Knights; or email to: email@example.com. This vacancy will remain open until filled.
Applicants will need to have a completed criminal record check before beginning work. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those to be interviewed will be contacted.