The Vernon Regional Transit Class Rides Free program provides students the opportunity to learn more about our local transit system through first-hand experience. School District 22 classrooms within Vernon city limits can apply to travel by transit for one round trip per year at no cost.
In order to participate in the program, please complete the application form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications must be received at least two weeks prior to the requested trip. If approved, you will receive a letter from the City of Vernon to present to your bus driver.
Trips must use the regularly scheduled transit service and teachers should consult the Vernon Regional Transit website to plan their schedule. Please note that travel approval will only be granted for trips taking place within off-peak hours, generally between 9:00 a.m. and 2:30 p.m.
Schools Outside of Vernon
The District of Coldstream and the Regional District of the North Okanagan have also adopted the Class Rides Free program for schools in their regions. Schools located outside of Vernon should contact their local government for information on how to apply.
Bus Etiquette for Students
Classes will be sharing the bus with other Vernon Regional Transit riders and are expected to behave in a courteous manner. Please note that Vernon Regional Transit buses can accommodate a maximum of 23 seated passengers plus 14 standing passengers. During busy times, classes may have to split their group or wait for the next bus. Students are expected to:
- Give up their seats for passengers who need to sit. Courtesy seating, located at the front of the bus, meets the needs of all transit customers, and is especially vital to:
- Customers who use scooters, wheelchairs, pediatric strollers or other mobility aids
- Customers with a disability or mobility issue
- Customers with baby strollers
- Not stand in the doorways.
- Not eat or drink on the bus.
- Use inside voices when speaking and headphones when listening to music.
Teachers should review these expectations with their students before the trip. Visit kidsridethebus.com to access BC Transit’s resources, activities, lesson plans, and videos designed for K-5 educators to help prepare your students for their bus ride.