LAND AGENT/NEGOTIATIOR – REAL ESTATE
Competition #: 53-COV-20
Closing Date: May 5, 2020
Reporting to the Manager, Real Estate, the successful candidate will primarily be responsible for negotiating and acquiring statutory right of ways and road dedications to support capital projects, protect existing infrastructure and drainage corridors; and value, negotiate, and purchase property required to support the City’s Park, Recreation and Transportation Plans. In addition, the Land Agent/Negotiator assists in a variety of the City’s real estate needs including: sale, exchange, lease, licence, rental and property management, under the direction of the Manager. The successful candidate provides professional real estate advice to the Manager and other City divisions. They will rely on a commitment to appraisal principles, working knowledge of real estate values and trends, legal understanding of the Local Government Act, the Community Charter, the Land Title Act, the Land Registry Act and City bylaws and policies.
- Negotiates acquisition of property interests required for City projects (e.g. utilities, roads, drainage, parks, and trails).
- Maintains appropriate contacts with other government agencies and associations, liaises with other City divisions, and acts as a Project Manager when required.
- Assists in the selection of consulting services in support of various projects (e.g. appraisers, surveyors and lawyers).
- Prepares reports and provides technical and professional advice.
- Assists in ensuring that the City’s land management legislation, policies, and procedures are regularly updated and revised in accordance with changes in senior government legislation, City Council policy, and external economic factors.
- Formulates recommendations regarding the sale, purchase and lease of properties for the Manager.
- Negotiates purchase and sale of properties required for, or surplus to, City needs at the direction of the Manager.
- Assists in managing leases of City-owned residential and commercial properties, including drafting leases, interviewing of prospective tenants, reference checking, arranging security deposits and advising appropriate departments and outside agencies of such tenancies.
- Attends to payments of real estate related invoices and works with the Finance and Corporate Services Divisions to arrange for property taxes, utility billing, maintenance, legal fees and land title registrations.
- Assists in maintaining an inventory of City-owned properties, including information on leased properties.
- Assists with the management of the City’s real estate holdings in a manner that provides the greatest overall benefit to the City and is consistent with changing political and economic objectives.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- Diploma in Real Estate, Urban Land Economics, or other equivalent education.
- Eligibility for membership in the Real Estate or Appraisal Institutes (RIBC, AACI), BOMA, or International Right of Way Association (IRWA).
- Minimum of 4 years experience in the real estate industry, land development industry, or government lands ministry/agency/department.
- Valid BC Driver’s License – Class 5
- A combination of relevant education and experience may be considered.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience and proficiency in land purchase and sale negotiations.
- Thorough knowledge of the requirements and procedures of the Land Title System and regulatory acts related to land use.
- Thorough knowledge and proficiency in handling of real property, transactions of land related information systems and multiple listing service sales data.
- Ability to manage land-related projects.
- Thorough knowledge and demonstrated familiarity in the interpretation of legal surveys.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Knowledge of general office practices and procedures.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and email software.
- Considerable diplomacy and exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Flexible and able to prioritize work in a fast-paced environment, working to deadlines.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Previous experience in a local government setting.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the on-line Application for Internal Posting form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!