ENGINEERING DEVELOPMENT TECHNICIAN
Two (2) positions
Competition #: 135-COV-20
Closing Date: Internal applicants – December 30, 2020
External applicants – January 7, 2021
Rate of Pay: $43.20 per hour (as of January 1, 2021, as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement) Band: 14 – Schedule A (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Days/Hours: Monday to Friday / 35 hours per week
Reporting to the Manager, Engineering Development Services, this position provides advanced technical review and management of development engineering works. This position is responsible for review and management of all aspects of development engineering ensuring design and installation conform to City bylaws, policies and procedures. This position also provides review and management of development engineering for RDNO/GVW within the city ensuring design and installation conform to relevant RDNO bylaws and procedures. This position delivers effective and efficient, local government services that benefit and protect our citizens, our businesses, our environment and our future.
- Support to other departments (Current Planning, Building and Licensing) through review of building permits, development permits, variance, subdivision and rezoning applications for compliance with City bylaws, policies and standards and RDNO/GVW bylaws and policies. This includes provision of detailed Engineering Development Servicing Reports for proposed development applications.
- Engineering review and processing of Soil Removal and Deposition permits for lot grading and onsite works in advance of development applications. This includes review of design drawings and cost estimates of proposed services and offsite works.
- Detailed review and acceptance of development engineering design submissions for offsite works ensuring conformance to City and RDNO/GVW bylaws and policies. This includes all infrastructure improvements necessary to support the development.
- Preparation of Works Contribution Agreements and Latecomer Bylaws for development projects.
- Management of development offsite works including processing development agreements (including obtaining securities, fees, requests for security reductions and releases), providing interface with internal and public enquiries regarding development works and coordination of final and one year review with other divisions. This includes Development Cost Charge projects and provision of confirmed final DCC project costs applicable for use as DCC credits.
- Develop scope of work for procurement of professional services related to area studies including: Expressions of Interest and/or Request for Proposals, and Tender Documents. Project management and coordination for the delivery of area studies.
- Coordination for the delivery of infrastructure and servicing of additional City projects installed as part of development. This includes management of the project budget.
- Review and acceptance of utility company design for proposed construction/relocation of water, gas, hydro and telephone mains, ducts, poles or lines in existing road right of ways.
- Provision of engineering information required to support potential future development including neighbourhood plans, studies and preplans relating to area and regional servicing.
- Administration of charges related to Latecomer Bylaws, Local Service Areas and Municipal Fee Bylaws.
- Preparation of amendments to Development Cost Charge Bylaw including coordination with other divisions and departments and management of consultants.
- Performs field inspections of constructed works for quality assurance and compliance with City and RDNO/GVW bylaw standards, policies and accepted design.
- Responds to inquiries regarding City and RDNO/GVW development bylaws, policies and procedures.
- Develops and maintains good contacts with engineering consultants, contractors, government regulatory agencies, private organizations, and utility agencies on matters relating to development and industry standards.
- Assists with amendments to the Subdivision and Development Servicing Bylaw to ensure it is consistent with good engineering practice and promotes sustainable development.
- Prepares and presents Council reports including PowerPoint presentations.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- Diploma in Civil Engineering Technology or a related field from an accredited technical institute.
- Eligible for registration as a Technician or Technologist in the ASTTBC.
- Construction inspection experience.
- Minimum eight years of experience in municipal engineering.
- B.C. Driver's Licence, Class 5.
- A combination of related education and experience may be considered.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Comprehensive knowledge of design concepts and construction practices related to municipal engineering. The ability to manage several projects simultaneously.
- Considerable knowledge of complex technical and legislative regulations regarding land development including the Local Government Act and Community Charter.
- Comprehensive knowledge and skill with the latest version of Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Word or other applicable software programs.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to work successfully within a team.
- Ability to communicate professionally both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work with little or no supervision.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Comprehensive knowledge and skill with latest version of AutoCAD, Tempest, Prospero and Laserfiche.
- Association with and/or knowledge of Master Municipal Construction Document, Transportation Association of Canada, and other applicable technical infrastructure, land, or legislative associations.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the Internal Application Form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!