VERNON SAFETY AMBASSADOR
(Excluded - Temporary)
Effective May 25, 2021 to August 20, 2021, approximately
Four (4) positions
Competition #: 47-COV-21
Closing Date: April 22, 2021
Rate of Pay: $18.00 per hour
Days/Hours: Varies / 35 hours per week
The Vernon Safety Ambassador program offers a unique opportunity for individuals looking towards a career in enforcement, education, human services worker, or nursing. Trained by the City of Vernon, RCMP, Bylaw Compliance, frontline service providers, and Interior Health, the Vernon Safety Ambassador provides a vital link to the community. Applicants with career aspirations in any of these areas are encouraged to highlight this in their application.
Reporting to the Community Safety Coordinator – Public Programs, the incumbent is responsible for promoting community safety in and around the Greater Vernon area. The Safety Ambassador will assist with community safety outreach programs and be good-will ambassadors for the City.
- Patrols of the greater Vernon area on foot and on bike.
- Promotes community safety in and around the Greater Vernon area.
- Documents incidents of unwanted graffiti vandalism.
- As a team member, facilitates outreach programs such as wilderness, bicycle, and personal safety.
- Works closely with the Community Safety Office on local safety issues.
- Promotes community safety initiatives that support effective community partnerships.
- Acts as a good-will ambassador.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- Minimum 1 year of post-secondary education or equivalent.
- Valid First Aid Certification with CPR.
- Valid Class 7N BC Driver’s Licence.
- Clean Driver’s Abstract.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must be mature and responsible.
- Demonstrates a strong work ethic.
- Must be able to safely ride a mountain bike.
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully as part of a team.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to obtain and maintain an acceptable police information check and vulnerable sector check.
Please submit your resume, with a cover letter, current driver’s abstract and valid first aid certificate (scan together all documents and submit as one file), quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of Vernon, using one of the following methods:
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the on-line Application for Internal Posting form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!