(as of 2:40 p.m.)
The City of Vernon continues to be in close and regular contact with the BC Wildfire Service (BCWS) regarding progress on the White Rock Lake wildfire that is burning west of Okanagan Lake, and is monitoring weather and fire conditions daily.
An Evacuation Alert remains in place for the following areas of Vernon:
- Canadian Lakeview Estates
- Adventure Bay
- Tronson Road between 8125 and 9280
The level of risk for residences within the municipal boundary continues to be assessed and further updates will be provided when they are available.
As of today, BCWS estimates the White Rock Lake wildfire is 81,483 ha in size and continues to classify it as Out of Control. As part of the firefighting efforts, BCWS conducted a planned ignition earlier this week to bring the fire’s edge down to workable ground along the northeastern flank. A larger-scale planned ignition (approximately 3,000 ha of land) may still occur along this flank in the coming week, if appropriate weather and site conditions can be met.
Given the precipitation received in the North Okanagan overnight and today, BCWS is unable to confirm exactly when a planned ignition may take place. However, if it does happen, residents across the region may experience the impacts of heavy wildfire smoke.
The BC Centre for Disease Control has several recommendations on how to protect yourself from wildfire smoke including the following:
- Use a portable HEPA air cleaner to filter the air in one area of your home
- Visit public spaces such as community centres, libraries and shopping malls which tend to have cleaner, cooler indoor air
- Take it easy on smoky days because the harder you breathe, the more smoke you inhale
- Drink lots of water to help reduce inflammation
Further information can be found on the BCCDC’s website.
The City will continue to monitor and assess the situation and will provide further updates as they become available.
Receive updates from the City of Vernon:
To receive emergency alert notifications and updates from the City of Vernon, subscribe here to receive emails direct to your inbox. You can also follow the City on our social media channels: Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram (@CityofVernon).
Stay informed on the latest wildfire information and evacuation notices across the North Okanagan:
- BC Wildfire Service: bcwildfire.ca
- BC Wildfire Service updates on White Rock Lake fire: http://bcfireinfo.for.gov.bc.ca/hprScripts/WildfireNews/OneFire.asp?ID=855
- Regional District of North Okanagan: rdno.ca
- Okanagan Indian Band: okib.ca
- Township of Spallumcheen: spallumcheentwp.bc.ca
- City of Armstrong: cityofarmstrong.bc.ca
- EmergencyMapBC: https://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=950b4eec577a4dc5b298a61adab41c06