MANAGER, ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT AND TOURISM
Competition #: 22-COV-21
Closing Date: March 21, 2021
If you've heard of the Okanagan, you know how beautiful it is. Four seasons, year round outdoor adventure and a rich agricultural bounty are just some of our charms. The City of Vernon is seeking a highly motivated and experienced professional to join the Community Infrastructure and Development Services team. Vernon is a growing, evolving city and our team is dedicated to making it the greatest place in the world. If you are skilled, talented and want to make a difference, we want to hear from you.
Reporting to the Director, Community Infrastructure and Development, this position assists and facilitates the expansion of local businesses through the removal of obstacles and the provision of services to ensure that local business and industry is retained. This position participates in promoting the City of Vernon to prospective investors to attract new business and create high value jobs. This position is also responsible for the provision of Tourism Services for the City of Vernon.
- Provides assistance to prospective investors interested in locating, establishing or expanding business and industrial opportunities, with the goal to expand the commercial, service and industrial tax base in the City of Vernon.
- Provides direction and guidance to the Manager, Tourism regarding long term development and strategic direction.
- Liaises with government agencies and the business community to implement initiatives and strategies that support both short and long term economic development goals and monitors progress toward defined deliverables.
- Maintains databases relative to economic development and government programs used to promote the growth of the City of Vernon and responds to requests for statistical information related to the City.
- Develops and maintains lands and development opportunity inventories.
- Prepares and disseminates information regarding the availability of land, buildings and opportunities available for the attraction and retention of business and industry to the City.
- Acts as first point of contact for potential investors and facilitates partnerships between businesses, industry, government, educational and financial institutions.
- Coordinates participation in trade shows to promote the City of Vernon.
- Prepares annual five year strategic plan for the consideration of Council.
- Prepares and administers annual budgets in consultation with the Director.
- Reports on the activities of the economic development function and the various programs implemented.
- Provides guidance, advice and recommendations to Council on sound strategies and programs related to economic development and tourism.
- Develops, implements and manages a business attraction program that identifies emerging business opportunities to attract new businesses and investments to the City consistent with Council’s Strategic Plan and the Official Community Plan.
- Develops and implements key marketing strategies and business retention initiatives.
- Works with potential business investors to provide information about the City’s workforce; utility, transportation and communications infrastructure; educational facilities, real estate opportunities and local business support programs and other matters relevant to the potential investor’s needs.
- Provides referrals to appropriate government and community agencies, funding programs and workforce development programs.
- Promotes availability of agency and/or government funding programs which can assist with the economic development in the City of Vernon.
- Performs other duties, as required.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in business or public administration, commerce, marketing, economics or a related field.
- A minimum of 8 years related experience, including experience in a municipal setting.
- Experience preparing business plans and marketing strategies.
- Valid BC Driver’s Licence – Class 5.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated superior interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Strong presentation and public speaking abilities, with experience and/or training in facilitation methods.
- Ability to manage multiple deadlines, tasks and projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Proven organizational and time management abilities.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Familiarity with local government environment, including Council procedures, Planning, Building, Licensing and Engineering.
- Experience in Tourism would be an asset.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the Internal Application Form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!