Temporary closure of Vernon Aquatic Centre caused by chlorine gas alarm

October 23, 2019
News

The Vernon Aquatic Centre was temporarily closed following a chlorine gas alarm on Tuesday.

On October 22, 2019, at approximately 4:00 pm, the alarm went off inside the Aquatic Centre and staff responded quickly, evacuating the pool area as per established safety procedures.

The level detected was low enough that maintenance staff were able to conduct an investigation. Staff determined there was a small amount of residual chlorine gas coming from an empty tank that had been changed and taken off line 30 minutes earlier.  The tank was resealed and systems were reset so that the pool could resume normal operation shortly afterwards.

“While it is unfortunate that this incident inconvenienced some of our facility users, this occurrence served as a test of our newly updated chlorine safety system," said Gary Lefebvre, manager, Aquatics. “I am happy to say it worked and I am very proud of our staff, who acted quickly and followed our safety procedures to ensure both their safety and the safety of the public.”