The City of Vernon is celebrating International Walk to School Month (iWalk) in October and the completion of the new 25 Street sidewalk construction project. Local students joined Mayor Akbal Mund and Councillors Catherine Lord, Juliette Cunningham and Scott Anderson for a walk along the new sidewalk.
The project along 25 Street began this year in early May and was completed September 16. The 25 Street project was in response to resident concerns, as the road is a major pedestrian and cycling corridor used by residents and students of Ecole Beairsto School, W.L. Seaton Secondary, and Harwood and Silver Star Elementary Schools.
The overall cost was approximately $634,000, and included:
• 1,370 metres of new sidewalk from 45 Avenue to Pleasant Valley Road,
• A new pedestrian activated flashing crosswalk at 43rd Avenue and 25 Street,
• Two new crosswalks at 40 and 41 Avenues,
• Bike route “Share the Road” signage, and
• Pavement markings on 25 Street from Pleasant Valley Road to 45 Avenue, and on 45 Ave from 25 Street to 20 Street.
Photo credit: City of Vernon/Sproing Creative.
Photo 1: (L to R) Mayor Akbal Mund, Councillor Catherine Lord, Councillor Scott Anderson and Councillor Juliette Cunningham take a Beatles-inspired walk along the newly completed 25 Street pedestrian route.
Photo 2: (L to R) Mayor Akbal Mund follows Brenden Rakos,Gavin Sandberg, Matthew Rakos and Cullen Sandberg across the 25 Street and 43 Avenue crosswalk.