Inter-Community Licence

The City of Vernon, along with Armstrong, Coldstream, Central Okanagan Regional District, Enderby, Kelowna, Keremeos, Lake Country, Lumby, Oliver, Osooyos, Peachland, Penticton, Princeton, Revelstoke, Salmon Arm, Sicamous, Spallumcheen, Summerland and The District of West Kelowna have formed an agreement to allow contractors and other service providers the opportunity to conduct business in all of these participating jurisdictions under one Inter-Community Business Licence.

An eligible business would pay their normal licence fee for the community that their business is based from, and an additional licensing fee of $150 to allow access to all other participating municipalities.

If you are interested in participating in this program, please contact the Business Licence Department at (250) 550-3585, (250) 550-3581 or email for further information.

Eligible Businesses

Eligibility for an Inter-Community (Mobile) Business Licence is limited to any business that performs a service in more than one of the participating municipalities, and who provides the service by moving from client to client. A business that has a storefront but also provides a service by moving from client to client in more than one of the participating municipalities where they do not have a storefront would be eligible to apply for an Inter-Community (Mobile) Business Licence, but only for the portion of their business that would fall into the criteria (i.e. not the storefront). More specifically, this includes:

  • contractors of all types (e.g. tradespeople, landscaping services, janitorial services, pest control, etc.)
  • other service providers (e.g. massage therapist, photographer, mobile hair dresser/barber, etc).

It must be noted that the primary licence would be required for the storefront business and the mobile licence would be approved for only the portion of the business that fell within the Inter-Community (Mobile) Business Licence criteria.

Ineligible Businesses

The following business types are ineligible for the Inter-Community (Mobile) Business Licence under the intermunicipal business licensing scheme:

  • Social escort services **
  • Vehicles for hire (for example, taxis, limousines or buses) **
  • Body-rub services (which includes the manipulating, touching or stimulating by any means, of a person's body or part thereof, but does not include medical, therapeutic or cosmetic massage treatment given by a person duly licensed or registered under any statute of the Province of British Columbia governing such activities or a therapeutic touch technique)
  • Those businesses selling goods or services to clients from the same location and not moving from client to client (e.g., fruit stands/trucks, mobile stores, mobile vendors, flea markets, carnivals, trade shows etc.) **

**must apply for licence in each municipality they operate in