The City of Vernon has an unwavering commitment to the health and safety of its residents, visitors, volunteers, and staff. The City continues to monitor the COVID-19 situation in British Columbia and is following the Orders, directives and guidelines put in place by Health Authorities, the Province and WorkSafeBC.
The Provincial Health Officer has updated the Order on Gathering and Events – September 10, 2021 and made it available to the public.
As of tomorrow (September 13), in accordance with the Health Order, anyone over the age of 12 who chooses to participate in certain events or activities through Greater Vernon Recreation Services will be expected to show their BC Vaccine Card at time of arrival. Events and activities that require showing the card are listed below. The card will need to be shown each time someone participates in one of the listed activities.
Those who are 12-18 years of age will be required to produce their BC Vaccine Card only; however, those aged 19+ will be required to show both their BC Vaccine Card and a piece of valid government issued photo ID.
- Indoor ticketed events
- Indoor concerts, theatre, dance and symphony events
- Indoor organized events with 50 or more people. (i.e., including but not limited to: wedding receptions, organized parties, conferences and workshops, games, tournaments and meets.)
- Indoor adult (22 years or older) sports. This includes all drop-in sports, volleyball and hockey leagues, as well as user group rentals.
- Spectators for all games, tournaments, and meets
Exercise and recreation activities
- Recreation Centre Fitness Gym use
- Use of the walking track at Kal Tire Place
- Indoor organized group recreational classes and activities. This includes all fitness and special interest classes.
Exempt activities and programs
The following recreation programs and services are exempt from the Order and BC Vaccine Cards will not be required for access:
- All programs and services in the Vernon Aquatic Centre, except when used for an event over 50 people (i.e., a swim meet)
- Those participating in youth sport (21 years of age and younger) for practice or training, including adult coaches, volunteers and spectators
- All programs offered by Greater Vernon Recreation Services for youth (21 years of age and younger) and those adults required to assist with these programs
For more information on province-wide restrictions, BC’s COVID-19 vaccination program and the Proof of Vaccination program, please visit gov.bc.ca/covid19.
For more information on recreation activities, programs and registration details in Greater Vernon, please visit www.gvrec.ca
The City of Vernon and Recreation Services appreciate everyone’s understanding and cooperation with these changes and will provide further updates as they become available.