Older Adults benefit greatly from getting out of the house socializing with friends and being active. The information in this section gives you some ideas and suggestions that you can do every day to help you stay healthy and independent.
The Health Benefits of Being Active
- Improve your balance
- Reduce falls and injuries
- Help you stay independent longer
- Help prevent heart disease, stroke, osteoporosis, type 2 diabetes, some cancers and premature death
- Aerobic activity, like pushing a lawn mower, taking a dance class, or biking to the store, is continuous movement that makes you feel warm and breathe deeply.
- Strengthening activity, like lifting weights or yoga, keeps muscles and bones strong and prevents bone loss. It will also improve your balance and posture.