Policies and procedures for the Vernon Aquatic Center's swimming lessons have been developed to minimize the risk that COVID-19 poses to the health of its employees and to the public. It is imperative that all posted guidelines and directions from the lifeguards are followed at all times.
Here are some things to consider before you come, and during your visit:
Do not come to the pool if you are sick or feel unwell, been outside Canada or if you have been told to self-isolate in the past fourteen (14) days.
Swimming lesson participants are encouraged to arrive no more than fifteen (15) minutes before your swim class. Come dressed ready to swim as changeroom access is limited.
All pool users are required to check in with the Front Deck upon arrival to answer health and wellness questions. Pool entry is through the main entrance and pool exit is through the club changerooms.
Everyone must have a cleansing shower before entering the pool area using soap and water.
Do not spit or blow your nose in the water.
Practice physical distancing by keeping 2 metres between family units.
Do not bring valuables or extra belongings to the pool. All pool users must bring all their personal belongings to store on deck in the lap cubbies as there are no lockers available.
Swim Lessons have been modified to accommodate physical distancing recommendations. All swimmer in all Preschool classes and Swim Kids 1 - 3 require a parent/caregiver to participate in the water with their swimmer.
If you have any questions about our COVID-19 Safety Play, the pool schedule, or swim lessons please call 250-550-3670 or email email@example.com.
Please read below for some common questions we hear. If there is something we have not covered here we want to hear from you. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know your question(s)!
Following the recommendations from both the Canadian Red Cross and the BC Lifesaving Society, we have adapted our swimming lesson delivery for COVID-19 protocols. If you have any questions or suggestions, please do not hesitate to call one of our Aquatic Leaders at email@example.com or 250-550-3670.
- All participants, child and parent/caregiver, are required to answer a daily health assessment prior to the start of the lesson starting. If you or your child is sick, you are to stay home and self-isolate up to 10 days until symptom free.
- All families are required to fill out a COVID-19 waiver form prior to the first lesson. This form is required to be filled out at the time of registration.
- Parent participation in the water is required to ensure the child is safe in the water and reduces the contact with the instructor. It is highly recommended that they same parent/caregiver attend all the lessons to reduce the number of contacts at the facility.
- Physical distancing of 2 metres must be observed at all times between instructor and swimmer, and swimmer/parent pair and other swimmer/parent pairs.
- All families are required to wash their hands and have a cleansing shower before and after using the facility.
- Some class times has been adjusted to 45 minutes to accommodate for cleaning and disinfection between classes. At the 45 minute mark, you will be asked to leave the facility so our instructors can clean and prepare for the next lesson. The Hot Tub will not available during program times.
- You are encouraged to bring your own personal equipment (ie. Goggles) and are not to be shared with other swimmers. The use of non-medical face coverings are encouraged when physical distancing cannot be met; however, any type of face covering is not allowed in the water due to an asphyxia risk.
- The facility will be providing limited instructional equipment for use during your lesson. These have been disinfected between uses. Please ensure you use your designated equipment bucket provided.
- The instructors will be following the Red Cross Swim Preschool and Red Cross Swim Kids Progressions, and an evaluation of the swimmers progress will be provided at the end of the lesson set. Each swimmer/parent pair may be at different abilities at the same time. Be patient, work with your child, and have fun. The more the parent/caregiver can participate and have fun in the water, the quicker your child will progress.
All Preschool and Swim Kids levels 1-3 are parented. Parent participation in the water is required to ensure the child is safe in the water and reduces the contact with the instructor. It is highly recommended that they same parent/caregiver attend all the lessons to reduce the number of contacts at the facility.
We require each child registered to attend with one parent/caregiver. If you have registered two children, you are required to have two parents/caregivers available and participating during the swim lesson.
Please inform the aquatic staff as soon as you know your child will not be attending a day of the lesson set, if for reason other than sickness.
Please keep children at home if they are sick or any family members are sick. Those who have symptoms of a cold, flu, or with any coughing / sneezing, or family members within their household who are sick or self-isolating, will not be permitted to attend.
The Health and Safety of our participants and staff is our number one priority. During this unprecedented time, if you can't attend lessons due to sickness of the child or a family member, we will withdraw your child from the lessons. If we withdraw your child due to illness, they will not be permitted to return to lessons for fourteen days, potentially affecting other lessons. We would appreciate being given as much notice as possible if you need to withdraw your child so that we can plan our programs appropriately. Thank you for your cooperation on this matter. Please contact the Recreation Centre 250-545-6035 (ext. 0) (be sure to include your child’s name and the swimming lessons they are in).
At this time, we do not require masks. If you feel more comfortable wearing a mask, we encourage you to wear one. If you need to speak directly with a staff person we ask that you maintain the recommended physical distancing. Any type of face covering is not allowed in the water due to a risk of asphyxia.
Due to our COVID-19 modifications, there are no spectators allowed at this time. All Preschool and Swim Kids levels 1-4 require parent participation. Swimmers registered in Swim Kids 5-10 should be dropped off in the lobby, and picked up following their lessons. Parents are discouraged from congregating in the lobby area.
Yes. The instructors will be following the Red Cross Swim Preschool and Red Cross Swim Kids Progressions, and an evaluation of the swimmer’s progress will be provided at the end of the lesson set. Each swimmer/parent pair may be at different abilities at the same time. Be patient, work with your child, and have fun. The more the parent/caregiver can participate and have fun in the water, the quicker your child will progress.
If you don't have a credit card for the online registration process, the Recreation Center is currently open 7 days a week for in person registration.
If your child has previously taken swimming lessons, please refer to your last report card as to what level your child should be registered into next. If you haven't taken lessons before, or can't find your old report card, please call the Recreation Clerks at the front desk at 250-545-6035 ext. 0 to set up a free swim assessment with one of our friendly lifeguards.
We request that you don't register your child solely based on age as they may end up in a level beyond their ability in the pool.
We currently have very few private swim lesson time slots available due to pool space and instructor availability among our COVID-19 modifications. We have a Private Lesson Interest List available each season where interested participants are called when private lesson time slots become available.
If private lesson time slots are available, the maximum number of participants is 3 participants per booking, except all 3 participants must be a similar ability. All additional participants in a semi-private costs $5.00 per additional participant.