Permits & Applications

Expand the category below to read information and find links to permit applications.

Development Permits

All areas in the City of Vernon fall within Development Permit Areas. Development Permit Areas are designed to address one or more of the following:

  • Multiple family residential where a project will exceed three dwelling units
  • Commercial use
  • Industrial use
  • Agritourism
  • Areas of medium and high conservation value
  • Riparian areas
  • Hillside development

Development Permit Application

Development Variance Permit

Development Variance Permits are authorized by City Council to allow variances to certain requirements of the City’s Zoning Bylaw, Sign Bylaw, or Subdivision and Development Servicing Bylaw.

Development Variance Permit Application


A subdivision can create two or more lots out of one lot, adjust an existing lot line, or consolidate two or more lots into one.

Rezoning and Zoning Bylaw Text Amendments

Owners of property may apply to amend the zoning on their property. Zoning Bylaw Text Amendments amend a requirement or regulation within the Bylaw affecting a particular zone.

Official Community Plan Amendments

Vernon’s Official Community Plan is the guiding document for growth and development for the city. It outlines what sort of place Vernon will be in the future. The plan focuses primarily on land use, transportation, environmental policies and a number of other topics that are key to how Vernon will grow and change. The Official Community Plan can be amended annually, with a deadline to apply by March 1st of each year.

Boundary Extension

Owners of property outside of the City of Vernon may apply to have the city’s boundary extended to include their property, this process was formerly referred to as a municipal annexation.  Properties must meet the criteria of the Official Community Plan’s Boundary Extension Polices and the Government of British Columbia’s Municipal Boundary Extension Process and Policies.

Agricultural Land Reserve

A landowner may apply to the Agricultural Land Commission to:

  • Include land in the ALR
  • Exclude land from the ALR
  • Subdivide land in the ALR
  • Use land in the ALR for non-farm purposes

These applications must be made through the Agricultural Land Commission’s Application Portal.