UTILITY CLERK I
Competition #: 40-COV-20
Closing Date: Internal applicants – March 18, 2020
External applicants – March 25, 2020
Rate of Pay: $30.06 per hour (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Band: 5 – Schedule A (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Days/Hours: Monday to Friday, 35 hours per week
Reporting to the Manager, Financial Operations, this position performs clerical work, maintains the utilities sub-ledger system and assists in production of the quarterly utility billing.
- Assists in preparation of quarterly utility billing.
- Reviews for accuracy and approves cashier payment batches.
- Records and balances daily cash summaries.
- Prepares and reviews meter reading edit lists for accuracy and to ensure all accounts are billed.
- Inputs new accounts and ensures new accounts are captured.
- Reviews new owners and adjusts billing rates when necessary.
- Updates utility sub-system relating to civic property address changes.
- Maintains contact with Building Department to ensure new service applications are processed.
- First point of contact to respond to high volume of telephone and counter inquiries and complaints concerning utility bills.
- Reviews complaints and obtains approval for adjustments to customer account(s).
- Logs information on telephone and counter inquires and complaints according to procedures.
- Adjust utility accounts within established guidelines.
- Performs related work as required.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- Business Administration – Accounting Certificate.
- Up to and including 6 months’ experience dealing with the public in a customer service role and working with a computerized accounting system.
- A combination of related education and experience may be considered.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of City and departmental regulations and procedures.
- Proficient with calculator (minimum 100 keystrokes per minute on number pad).
- Good communication, discretion and public relations skills.
- Ability to exercise tact and courtesy in exchange of information with other City employees, departments and the public.
- Ability to maintain visual attention and concentration.
- Ability to use related computer applications such as Tempest, OUTLOOK, WORD and EXCEL.
- Ability to produce legible and accurate work.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Business Administration Diploma – Accounting.
- 2 years’ experience in a municipal setting.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of Vernon, using one of the following methods:
Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the on-line Application for Internal Posting form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!