TRAFFIC SIGNAL TECHNICIAN I
Effective immediately. Subject to return of the incumbent
Competition #: 111-COV-19
Closing Date: Internal applicants – October 30, 2019
External applicants – November 6, 2019
Rate of Pay: $38.09 per hour (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Band: 12 – Schedule B (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Days/Hours: Monday to Friday, 40 hours per week
Reporting to the Manager, Roads, Drainage & Airport, performs skilled technical traffic signal and street light installation as well as performs work for applicable divisions within the City.
- Installs, operates, monitors and updates the computerized traffic signal systems, assists in revising timing plans, updates database to ensure systems run effectively.
- Reviews traffic and pedestrian signal operations and in co-operation with the Engineering Department, makes necessary changes to improve intersection safety or vehicular flow.
- Installs, replaces, repairs and maintains streetlights including changing lamps, photocells, cleaning refractors, and replacing wiring.
- Installs, replaces, repairs and maintains metal signal and street light poles.
- Installs aboveground and underground duct work, conduits, etc., for hydro, telephone, street and traffic light installations, and installs loop detectors.
- Checks defective electrical equipment and replaces electrical parts and performs electrical repairs at all city utilities.
- Provides electrical maintenance support to operators and other field crews involved in operation/ maintenance.
- Performs underground utility locating including electrical and gas lines.
- Maintains a computerized maintenance program for traffic signal and street light installations and repairs, including inventory of all lights, poles, controllers, etc.
- Maintains adequate inventory of replacement materials for traffic and street light systems.
- Installs, replaces and programs PLCs.
- Maintains, troubleshoots and installs motor control centres.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- Minimum 3 years recent related experience.
- Experience in repairing, assembling and programming SCADA systems and PLC’s.
- Technical Training and experience in programming and maintaining traffic controllers.
- Journeyman electrician.
- Class 5 Drivers’ License with Air Endorsement.
- A combination of related education and experience may be considered.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of computer and related software, and general office equipment
- Thorough knowledge of standard practices, methods, materials, tools and equipment used in underground and aboveground electrical installations.
- Thorough knowledge of the statutes, bylaws, rules, regulations and policies applicable to traffic operations, and the Canadian Electrical Code.
- Thorough knowledge of installation and maintenance of traffic signal and streetlights.
- Able to coordinate signalized intersections.
- Able to operate a half-ton truck, aerial bucket truck, a variety of small hand tools and electrical test equipment such as multimeters, ammeters and meggars.
- Able to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Able to deal tactfully and diplomatically with staff and the general public.
- Able to prepare cost estimates, specifications and drawings for electrical, traffic control and street light installations, and read and interpret plans and specifications.
- Able to perform thorough daily pre-trip inspections and comply with the requirements as set by the National Safety Code.
- Working knowledge of programmable logic controllers, personal computers, variable frequency drives, SCADA and radio modem systems.
- Working knowledge of motor control systems including analog and digital signals.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Registered Rep. # with a Class B ticket from the Electrical Safety Branch.
- Levels 1 and 2 of the international Municipal Signals Certification.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of Vernon, using one of the following methods:
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the on-line Application for Internal Posting form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!