Competition #: 56-COV-21
Closing Date: May 21, 2021
If you've heard of the Okanagan, you know how beautiful it is. Four seasons, year round outdoor adventure and a rich agricultural bounty are just some of our charms. The City of Vernon is seeking a highly motivated and experienced professional to join the Community Infrastructure and Development Services team. Vernon is a growing, evolving city and our team is dedicated to making it the greatest place in the world. If you are skilled, talented and want to make a difference, we want to hear from you.
Reporting to the Manager, Tourism, the Tourism Coordinator is responsible for assisting with the Implementation of the Tourism Strategic Business Plan. This includes coordinating and tracking Tourism marketing campaigns and programs (including website and social media), coordinating media relations and tours, coordinating and attending trade shows, liaising with Tourism stakeholders and performing market research.
- Coordinate, implement and track marketing campaigns and projects
- Maintain and generate content for Tourism Vernon website and marketing campaigns
- Coordinate Tourism Marketing Co-op Program
- Coordinate creation, production and distribution of Tourism marketing collateral
- Coordinate and attend trade show activities on behalf of Tourism Vernon for consumer, travel trade and media events
- Assist stakeholders in advertising programs that leverage the Tourism Vernon brand
- Coordinate e-mail marketing campaigns
- Track and report on success of marketing campaigns
- Track search engine optimization and social media channels
- Respond to image/video requests
Media Relations/Travel Trade:
- Research and target key media with customized pitches
- Coordinate and host media trips including the coordination of events that highlight stakeholders
- Respond to media inquiries such as image or information requests, interview set-ups, and fact-checking
- Maintain media archives and distribute media stories
- Track and report performance metrics for initiatives and campaigns
- Assist in the development and implementation of a travel trade outreach program
- Collect and monitor statistical data for research purposes and to ensure understanding of tourism market trends; locally, provincially and nationally
- Assist Destination BC with the monthly Accommodators’ survey
Tourism Stakeholder & Administration Support:
- Represent Tourism Vernon at external functions
- Assist in the implementation and administration of approved tourism projects and organization of tourism files
- Liaise, as required, with local, regional, provincial and national colleagues to share information, resources with a goal to continuously improve delivery of Tourism services.
- Assist in the facilitation of industry network sessions to provide opportunity for feedback from tourism stakeholders
- Perform other duties as may be assigned from time to time
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties
Required Education and Experience:
- Diploma in tourism, business or communications or a Certificate in a related area combined with relevant experience.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in marketing and/or tourism.
- Valid BC Driver’s License.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong program/project development skills.
- Innovative with highly developed written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Strong community/client focus and excellent interpersonal abilities.
- Able to collaborate with multiple stakeholders.
- Good organizational skills.
- Ability to work in fast paced environment with many demands.
- Strong Microsoft Office Suite, Content Management Software, social media platform skills,
- The incumbent will be required to work outside of normal working hours.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Experience in tourism destination marketing would be an asset.
- Knowledge of video editing would be an asset for social media purposes.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the Internal Application Form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!