TECHNICIAN, HEAVY DUTY MECHANIC
Competition #: 16-COV-20
Closing Date: Internal applicants – February 6, 2020
External applicants – February 13, 2020
Rate of Pay: $39.63 per hour (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Band: 12 – Schedule B (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Days/Hours: Monday to Friday / 40 hours per week
Reporting to the Manager, Fleet Services, this position performs a variety of shop tasks including the repair, service, and maintenance of light, medium, and heavy duty gasoline and diesel powered vehicles, construction equipment, trucks, trailers and machinery.
- Performs scheduled servicing, preventive maintenance, and repairs in both the shop and field on a variety of City Fleet vehicles and equipment.
- Performs repairs, trouble shooting, and regular servicing on power train, electrical, charging, hydraulics and fuel systems on a variety of vehicles and equipment.
- Performs Fleet vehicle inspections to comply with Commercial Vehicle Preventative Maintenance Program.
- Performs duties to ensure compliance with all provincial and/or federal regulation(s), City of Vernon policies, and WorkSafe BC regulations.
- Opens, documents, and completes repair orders in a computerized maintenance management system allocating all parts, times, and repairs ensuring all entries match time cards.
- Performs inspections and adjustments to air brake systems to ensure compliance with the National Safety Code and B.C. Motor Vehicle Act.
- Performs repairs to small tools used in construction (i.e., chain saws, tampers, pumps).
- Maintains equipment and tools used in performance of work in a clean safe manner, and keeps work area clean and tidy.
- Performs welding repair and fabrication tasks as required.
- Assists the City of Vernon in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Required Education And Experience:
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience as a Journeyman with a Red Seal Interprovincial qualification as a Heavy Duty Mechanic or Commercial Transport Mechanic (Truck and Transport Mechanic) in the repair and maintenance of heavy duty construction equipment, heavy duty trucks, and machinery
- Commercial Vehicle Inspectors’ Authorization
- Valid B.C. Driver’s License (Class 3) with Air Brake Endorsement
- A combination of related education and experience may be considered.
Required Knowledge, Skills And Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of Commercial Vehicle Safety Enforcement regulations
- Thorough knowledge of the City of Vernon obligations under the Province of British Columbia Authorized Preventative Maintenance Program
- Ability to use Overhead 5T Crane, vehicle lifts, forklift, floor jacks, hydraulic press, drill press, lathe, band saw, bench grinder, angle grinder, and other pneumatic hand tools and related fabrication tools
- Able to use a mobile welding truck and other City vehicles
- Superior mechanical aptitude
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the job including regular heavy lifting of (>50 lbs)
- Ability to work in the shop or field with exposure to noise, heat, intermittent sitting, crouching, standing, in all weather conditions
- Excellent communication skills, oral, written, and electronic
- Ability to exercise diplomacy, courtesy, and tact when dealing with City of Vernon staff, contractors, service providers and regulatory agencies
- Able to work alone or as a member of a team. Able to make sound decisions related to work priorities
- Able to be a self starter and work with minimal supervision
- Knowledge of safe work practices related to welding and equipment maintenance tasks
- Able to interpret blueprints and sketches, and oral or written instruction, with minimal supervision
- The ability to complete major Fleet projects such as the assembly and calibration of many components in the commissioning of new units
- Ability to assist, advise and direct staff in the operation, repair and maintenance of City vehicles and equipment
- The ability to provide and maintain an acceptable drivers abstract
- Ability to obtain advanced trade qualifications and courses keeping current with technologic and regulatory requirements
Preferred Education And Experience:
- Welding Fabrication
- Automotive Mechanic Repair Trades Certificate
- Emergency Vehicle Technician Certification
- Air Conditioning Service experience
- Knowledge of alternate fuel technologies for internal combustion engines
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of Vernon, using one of the following methods:
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the on-line Application for Internal Posting form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!