SWITCHBOARD - RCMP
Competition #: 62-COV-21
Closing Date: Internal applicants – May 31, 2021
External applicants – June 7, 2021
Rate of Pay: $27.90 per hour (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Band: 3 – Schedule A (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Days/Hours: Monday to Friday, 35 hours per week
Reporting to the General Manager, Municipal Support Services, the primary duties consist of the operation of switchboard, clerical, and reception work with considerable public contact.
- Responds to public requests in the appropriate manner.
- Performs clerical work and word processing.
- Answers and screens telephone calls, and determines appropriate action.
- Creates Police Records Information Management Environment (PRIME) electronic files and corresponding hardcopy files as required.
- Receives Provincial Court subpoenas and coordinates distribution for personal service (to serve a party).
- Performs PRIME//Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) queries in support of criminal records and stolen/found property checks.
- Prepares false alarm reports in support of City of Vernon false alarm bylaws.
- Performs front counter reception duties on an ad hoc basis.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- Completion of coursework in MS Office Suite programs, including but not limited to WORD, EXCEL, and Outlook.
- Minimum six months experience in a clerical role that includes reception and/or switchboard duties.
- A combination of related education and experience may be considered.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficient with computers and related software (MS Office Suite), and general office equipment.
- Typing requirement of 45 wpm.
- Ability to complete the PRIME Records and the CPIC Query Courses.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully manage a diversity of clients and situations and direct them appropriately.
- Proven clerical ability.
- Ability to develop knowledge of departmental regulations and procedures applicable to the work being carried out as identified above.
- Demonstrated effective oral and written communication skills.
- Skilled in the operation of a switchboard, computers and other associated office equipment with reasonable speed and accuracy.
- Ability to use the RCMP operational records management systems such as PRIME and CPIC.
- Communicates effectively with the public and/or other staff persons.
- Ability to work with limited supervision.
- Ability to obtain an acceptable Police Information Check.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a RCMP Enhanced Reliability Status security clearance.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Previous experience in a policing or enforcement environment.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the Internal Application Form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!