SUMMER STUDENT – TRAFFIC AND PARKING CONTROL
May 3, 2021 – August 31, 2021, approximately
Competition #: 16-COV-21
Closing Date: February 23, 2021
Rate of Pay: $15.92 per hour (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Days/Hours: Monday to Friday / 35 hours per week
Note: Driver’s Abstracts required at the time of shortlisting.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to submit to a Police Information Check.
Reporting to the Manager, Protective Services, this position is responsible for patrolling the downtown core area on foot for parking meter and traffic violations. This position is physically demanding and the incumbent may walk as many as 12 kilometers per day in all weather conditions including 30+ degree Celsius temperatures.
- Patrols the downtown core for parking and traffic violations on foot and by vehicle.
- Issues violation tickets, picks up fines from collection boxes, and assists with parking meter money pickup as required.
- Assists with parking system maintenance as required.
- Advises Bylaw Compliance Officers or RCMP of safety/security concerns within the downtown core.
- Assists Bylaw Compliance Officers or Traffic and Parking Control Officers as required.
- Acts as a good-will ambassador.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Candidates are eligible for summer student employment if they
- are currently enrolled and returning to post-secondary studies;
- hold a minimum Class 7 Novice N BC Driver's License. In accordance with ICBC regulations, students with a 7N license are responsible for displaying and removing their N decal when operating City vehicles. These students may not carry more than one passenger.
- are a permanent resident within the Greater Vernon Area (Greater Vernon Area defined as Coldstream and Electoral Areas B and C). Candidates may attend school in another location, but they must have live within the Greater Vernon Area for at least one year prior to attending school (excluded, and therefore ineligible for student employment with the City of Vernon are the areas of Spallumcheen, Lumby, Armstrong and Lake Country);
- have not worked the maximum allowable 3 summer work terms.
Education and Experience:
- Minimal experience in general maintenance.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to operate vehicles with both manual and automatic transmissions.
- Some knowledge of the methods, techniques, materials, tools and equipment used in general maintenance work.
- Knowledge of safe work practices as related to WCB regulations.
- Ability to understand and effectively carry out oral and written instructions.
- Ability to deal tactfully with employees and the general public.
- Sufficient physical strength, stamina and coordination to perform manual outdoor work in inclement weather.
- Ability to obtain and maintain an acceptable police information check and vulnerable sector check.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the on-line Application for Internal Posting form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!