SUMMER STUDENT – TOURISM
May 10, 2021 – August 27, 2021
Two (2) Positions
Competition #: 31-COV-21
Closing Date: March 24, 2021
Rate of Pay: $15.92 per hour (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Days/Hours: Varies / 35 hours per week
Note: Driver’s Abstracts will be required at the time of shortlisting.
Reporting to the Manager, Tourism and under the guidance of the Tourism Coordinator, the Summer Student – Tourism is responsible for assisting with Tourism Services, including Mobile Visitor Servicing. This includes driving or biking to specific tourist locations, setting up the Tourism Vernon mobile visitor booth and providing Visitor Services Information.
- Assembles/disassembles mobile booth daily and keeps stocked and organized with brochures, maps and supplies.
- Responds to visitor enquiries in person, telephone, email, and records data for tracking purposes.
- Reviews publications, news sources and community information for upcoming events, and news of interest to visitors and updates files and reference materials accordingly.
- Promotes Visitor Servicing locations on social media, in accordance with Tourism Vernon’s social media guidelines.
- Assists at special events, festivals, and trade shows as required.
- Assists the Tourism Coordinator as required.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Candidates are eligible for summer student employment if they:
- are currently enrolled and returning to post-secondary studies. Preference would be given to those in a Tourism related field;
- hold a minimum Class 7 Novice N BC Driver's License. In accordance with ICBC regulations, students with a 7N license are responsible for displaying and removing their N decal when operating City vehicles. These students may not carry more than one passenger;
- are a permanent resident within the Greater Vernon Area (Greater Vernon Area defined as Coldstream and Electoral Areas B and C). Candidates may attend school in another location, but they must have lived within the Greater Vernon Area for at least one year prior to attending school (excluded, and therefore ineligible for student employment with the City of Vernon are the areas of Spallumcheen, Lumby, Armstrong and Lake Country);
- have not worked the maximum allowable 3 summer work terms.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- SuperHost or other service excellence training.
- Tourism Visitor Information Counsellor Certification.
- Experience working in the Tourism Industry would be an asset.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of MS Office programs (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Knowledge of community and Tourism product in the region.
- Demonstrated self-starter and understands the role of an ambassador.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team, with little supervision.
- Ability to communicate effectively and courteously with the public.
- Knowledge of safe work practices as related to WCB regulations.
- Ability to understand and effectively carry out oral and written instructions.
- Ability to deal tactfully with employees and the general public.
- Sufficient physical strength, stamina and coordination to perform outdoor work in all weather conditions.
- Ability to operate vehicles with automatic transmission.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the on-line Application for Internal Posting form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.