LIFEGUARD/INSTRUCTOR – OUTDOOR POOLS
Effective immediately until Sept 2, 2019, approximately
Up to three (3) positions
Competition #: 82-COV-19
Closing Date: Internal applicants – July 17, 2019
External applicants – July 24, 2019
Rate of Pay: $15.00 per hour (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Reporting to the Manager, Aquatics, this position involves either instructing classes for children and adults in all levels of swimming and/or performing normal lifeguard duties dependent on relevant certifications. In addition, in this role the incumbent will perform, basic pool maintenance, and cleaning.
- Plans, organizes, instructs and evaluates swimming classes at all levels.
- Maintains related class and course records.
- Performs normal lifeguard duties.
- Carries out assigned janitorial and minor preventative maintenance tasks.
- Tests and adjusts water quality in swimming pools including adding chemicals.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- Holder of a current CPR Level C.
- Holder of a current Red Cross Water Safety Instructors Certification and/or a current National Lifeguard Certification (Pool Option).
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated people person with emerging coaching abilities.
- Solid communications and interpersonal skills to work effectively in a team environment and with the public.
- Knowledgeable in normal pool maintenance.
- Ability to obtain and maintain an acceptable Vulnerable Sector Check.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12.
- Pool Operators Certificate Level I.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of Vernon, using one of the following methods:
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the on-line Application for Internal Posting form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!