SPECIALIST, SECURITY SYSTEMS
Competition #: 104-COV-19
Closing Date: October 1, 2019
Reporting to the Administrator, Information Systems the Security Systems Specialist role is responsible primarily for providing high level coordination, planning, technical support, analysis, and reporting regarding the organization’s cyber security projects and technical infrastructure.
- Provides advanced technical support for all City information systems with a primary focus on cyber security, standards, and infrastructure.
- Researches, analyzes, and provides evidence based recommendations to the Administrator, Information Systems.
- Performs information services infrastructure installations, service patches, system upgrades and escalated troubleshooting.
- Performs emergency repairs and upgrades to the information services infrastructure during and after hours as required.
- Liaises with contractors and third party businesses as required to support the provision of related services.
- Ensures that the digital systems, interfaces, and programs perform to standards.
- Consults and works with other divisions to develop technical processes, scripts and products to gain efficiency and productivity.
- Assists the Administrator, Information Systems and Coordinator, Information Systems to coordinate and plan, on corporate direction methodologies, updates, patches, and changes in the City's systems and datasets.
- Provides coverage for technical IS positions as required.
- Ensures corporate compliance with Information Services policies and standards.
- Provides hardware and software support for IS devices in the City's Infrastructure.
- Assists with and provides training for end users as required.
- Documents all procedures and related technical resolutions, promptly and accurately.
- Responsible for the recording and tracking of tasks and service requests.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education And Experience:
- MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer) or completion of a recognized post-secondary program in information technology.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in a computer technical/security capacity.
- Must possess and maintain a current Microsoft server network infrastructure certification in a security centric field, or other recognized Information Technology security system.
- Valid BC Class 5 Drivers License.
Required Knowledge, Skills And Abilities:
- Ability to excel under pressure in a critical information services emergency.
- Extensive experience working independently with server and infrastructure emergencies in critical situations.
- Expert experience with Microsoft Server environments, SQL databases, network security, firewalls and websites.
- Ability to be entrusted with confidential information.
- Expert knowledge of network peripheral devices.
- Demonstrated analytical knowledge of Enterprise software programs.
- Excellent computer and related software abilities, including general office equipment.
- Acquires and maintains a current Microsoft security server network infrastructure certification within two years of product release.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Exchange.
- Extensive hardware and software troubleshooting experience.
- Solid Peripheral troubleshooting abilities.
- Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills with a commitment to teamwork and customer service.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to obtain and maintain an acceptable criminal record check.
- Ability to obtain and maintain an RCMP Secret Security Clearance.
Preferred Education And Experience:
- CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate)
- Current CCSA (Check Point Certified Admin)/ CCSE (Check Point Certified Expert)
- WAN (Wide Area Network) background
- Experience with database management.
- RCMP Secret security clearance
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of Vernon, using one of the following methods:
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the on-line Application for Internal Posting form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!