SERVICE TECHNICIAN – FLEET SERVICES
Competition #: 94-COV-22
Closing Date: Internal applicants – June 10, 2022
External applicants – June 17, 2022
Rate of Pay: $32.71 per hour (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Band: 6 – Schedule B (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Days/Hours: Monday to Friday / 11:30 am – 8:00 pm, 40 hours per week
Reporting to the Manager, Fleet Services, the Service Technician performs regular maintenance, servicing, and repair work on all City Fleet vehicles and equipment. This role also maintains a clean, safe, and organized shop.
- Under the direction of the Supervisor, Fleet Services, the Service Technician performs regular daily maintenance and repairs both in the shop and field on a variety of municipal fleet vehicles, mobile, and stationary equipment.
- Opens, documents, and completes repair orders in a Computerized Maintenance Management System allocating all parts, times, and repairs ensuring all entries match time cards.
- Performs a variety of mechanical servicing and repair on vehicles and equipment including, but not limited to, oil and lube servicing, changing tires, batteries, drive belts, snow and ice blade cutting edge replacement.
- Maintains fleet master filter survey with fleet additions, deletions, and part number changes.
- Ensures nonstock filters are sourced incorporating just in time practices as fleet units approach service interval.
- Operates and maintains a high pressure washer system used in the washing of vehicles and equipment components.
- Performs vehicle detailing including pressure washing vehicle exterior and engine bay to ensure vehicles are returned to the user in a clean condition.
- Assists Technicians and the Welder/Fabricator in the repair and maintenance of vehicles and equipment.
- Maintains a safe work environment through maintaining cleanliness of work areas and equipment and identifying unsafe working conditions.
- Transports and dispenses Jet A Fuel at the Vernon Regional Airport to corporate, charter commercial fixed wing, and rotary wing aircraft, as required.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- Industry Training Authority (ITA) of British Columbia program or equivalent pre-apprenticeship or foundational program in any of the following trades; automotive, commercial transport, or heavy duty mechanic
- Valid B.C. Drivers Licence, Class 3, complete with “Endorsement 15” air brake ticket
- Minimum six (6) months recent experience in a vehicle repair service centre performing vehicle service and maintenance
- A combination of relevant education and experience may be considered
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of techniques, tools, equipment, and safe working practices as related to the servicing and maintenance of equipment and vehicles
- Performs a variety of semi-skilled mechanical tasks in the repair, maintenance, and adjustment of a wide variety of small landscape maintenance equipment, heavy duty, commercial transport, automotive, and tractor type vehicles
- Operates a variety of vehicles and equipment
- Skilled in the use and care of tools and equipment used in the trade
- Demonstrates problem solving skills related to the vehicle mechanical servicing and repair tasks
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written
- Exercises diplomacy, courtesy, and tact when dealing with City of Vernon staff, contractors, service providers, and regulatory agencies
- Self-starter and works with minimal supervision
- Ability to work alone and as a member of a team
- Demonstrated ability to meet the physical demands of the job including regular heavy lifting of (>50 lbs)
- Ability to work in the shop or field with exposure to noise, heat, intermittent sitting, crouching, standing, in all weather conditions
- Ability to obtain qualifications and courses in keeping current with the regulatory requirements of the duties of this position
Preferred Education And Experience:
- Post-secondary education/training related to a Mechanical Repair Trade.
- General welding and fabrication work including MIG, TIG and ARC welding with ferrous and non-ferrous metals.
Conditions of Employment:
- Upon commencement of employment you will be asked to complete the following and maintain where required:
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods Certificate
- Aviation Fuelling Training Certificate
- Occupational First Aid Level 1 Certificate
- Fork Lift Operators Certificate
- Automotive Lift Institute Training Certificate, and
- Fall Arrest Certificate
- As a fundamental term and condition of employment with the City of Vernon, candidates will be required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of Vernon, using one of the following methods:
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the Internal Application Form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!