SECRETARY I – VWRC
Effective March 18, 2019
Competition #: 04-COV-19
Closing Date: Internal applicants – January 15, 2019
External applicants – January 22, 2019
Rate of Pay: $27.57 per hour (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Band: 4 – Schedule A (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Days/Hours: Monday to Friday, 35 hours per week
Reporting to the Manager, Vernon Water Reclamation Centre (VWRC), this position performs routine secretarial, clerical, reception work under limited supervision.
- Transcribes dictation on a variety of matters.
- Acts as a receptionist, answering telephone and counter inquiries and providing information of a routine nature or redirects inquiries, as appropriate.
- Performs a variety of standard clerical and filing work, date stamping and distributing of internal mail, making photocopies and binding reports as required.
- Operates standard office equipment, such as computer, typewriter, dicta-phone, copying equipment, postage machine, switchboard and/or two-way radio.
- Performs other related duties, as required.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education And Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12 or equivalency.
- Supplemented by or including recognized secretarial course, or an equivalent combination of education, training or experience.
- Previous secretarial experience, or the equivalent type of secretarial experience to be able to perform the duties.
- A combination of related education and experience may be considered.
Required Knowledge, Skills And Abilities:
- Computer and related software, general office equipment.
- Thorough knowledge of business English, punctuation and grammar.
- Working knowledge of office procedures, functional terminology and departmental regulations.
- Skilled production of neat, accurate typing of 55 correct words per minute.
- Ability to transcribe dictating material (including notes) with satisfactory speed and accuracy.
- Ability to exercise courtesy, tact, diplomacy and some persuasion in the exchange of non-routine information with other City employees, and the employees of private companies and members of the general public.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Basic knowledge of office equipment, such as computer/word processor, typewriter, Dictaphone, calculator, copying equipment, switchboard, postage machine and two-way radio, as required.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of Vernon, using one of the following methods:
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the on-line Application for Internal Posting form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!