SECRETARY I - RECEPTION
Effective June 3, 2019
Competition #: 51-COV-19
Closing Date: Internal applicants – April 25, 2019
External applicants – May 1, 2019
Rate of Pay: $26.28 per hour (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Band: 3 – Schedule A (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Days/Hours: Monday to Friday, 35 hours per week
Reporting to the Manager, Legislative Services, this position provides reception services for City Hall along with a variety of secretarial and clerical tasks.
- Answers incoming call, screens calls, determines appropriate referral from information provided, connects calls to correct referral, and forwards to voice mail or takes messages when unable to make contact with the referral.
- Answers routine questions over the telephone and counter concerning departmental operations within delegated authority, reports complaints, and notes overloaded lines.
- Memorizes changes in departmental personnel and their responsibilities and advises other departments, as required, of such changes. Tracks vacation/availability of departmental personnel.
- Performs counter reception duties, obtains and records preliminary information from callers, and directs callers to a waiting or interview room.
- Types a variety of documents from copy, rough draft and/or previously prepared data.
- Sorts and opens City Hall mail, date stamps, and distributes the same.
- Maintains data bases and spreadsheets as assigned.
- Creates files for the Corporate Filing System.
- Responds in writing to general inquiries received off the City’s email address and/or refers the inquiry to the appropriate contact.
- Receives requests and distributes City Pins per the City of Vernon “City Pins” Policy.
- Maintains and reports assigned statistics.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- Grade 12 or equivalent.
- A minimum of 1 year related office experience.
- Office Administration or Secretarial Studies Certificate.
- A combination of related education and experience may be considered.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Computer and related software and general office equipment.
- Ability to communicate effectively with members of the public and staff.
- Ability to deliver exceptional customer service by dealing courteously and tactfully with the public.
- Ability to understand and execute oral and written instructions.
- Ability to memorize factual information pertaining to the staff and operation of departments and to interpret this data effectively.
- Experience with computers, using word processing and data base systems.
- Ability to perform routine clerical and typing tasks.
- Thorough knowledge of business English, punctuation and grammar.
- Working knowledge of office procedures, functional terminology and departmental regulations.
- Ability to type a minimum of 55 correct words per minute.
- Ability to achieve an intermediate level of competency within computer applications used
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Previous switchboard experience.
- Previous experience working in a municipality.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of Vernon, using one of the following methods:
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the on-line Application for Internal Posting form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!