SECRETARY I – PROTECTIVE SERVICES
Competition #: 30-COV-19
Closing Date: Internal applicants – March 8, 2019
External applicants – March 15, 2019
Rate of Pay: $27.57 per hour (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Band: 4 – Schedule A (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Reporting to the Manager, Protective Services, this position performs a variety of routine secretarial, clerical, and reception work under limited supervision.
- Acts as a receptionist, answering telephone inquiries and providing information of a routine nature or redirects inquiries, as appropriate.
- Receives Bylaw complaints for investigation from the public or other agencies, completes database records, and attaches documents or photographs.
- Enters payments, prepares bank deposit, maintains float and balances cash receipting system.
- Performs a variety of standard clerical and filing work including filing tickets, maintaining RCMP volunteer files (hard copy and electronic) and photocopying.
- Creates files for the Block Watch Program and files all program correspondence.
- Assists in the coordination and preparation of training programs, including preparing training materials, scheduling participants and facilities, and arranging instructors.
- Tracks, compiles, and coordinates information for reporting and metrics purposes.
- Provides general administrative support.
- Provides relief and backup support to the Bylaw Compliance Clerk for meal breaks and vacation.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- Grade 12 or equivalent
- Completion of a recognized secretarial, office administration, legal secretary, or other related certificate program
- Minimum 6 (six) months secretarial experience in a mid-sized or large organization
- A combination of related education and experience may be considered
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Communicates with professionalism with members of the public and staff, both orally and in writing
- Delivers exceptional customer service to City employees, volunteers, and the general public
- Proficient in computer operations using Microsoft Office programs such as Word, Excel, Power Point, and Outlook
- Comprehends and execute oral and written instructions
- Proficient in the operation of standard office equipment, such as computers and copying equipment
- Knowledge of techniques and practices related to general office administration and records management
- Ability to de-escalate public interactions in a calm and empathetic manner
- Performs routine clerical, data entry, and typing tasks
- Thorough knowledge of business English, punctuation, and grammar
- Types a minimum of 45 correct words per minute
- Searches for information and compile data for files and other sources
- Works with minimal supervision, adapts to changing situations, uses discretion and works with interruptions.
Conditions of Employment:
- The successful candidate will provide and maintain an acceptable Police Information Check
- The successful candidate will provide and maintain RCMP Enhance Security Clearance
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Experience in a policing or bylaw services environment.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of Vernon, using one of the following methods:
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the on-line Application for Internal Posting form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!