Effective immediately until the return of the incumbent
Competition #: 91-COV-20
Closing Date: Internal applicants – September 3, 2020
External applicants – September 11, 2020
Rate of Pay: $38.26 per hour (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Band: 11 – Schedule A (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Days/Hours: Days vary, 35 hours per week
Reporting to the Manager, Recreation Programs, this position assesses community recreation programming needs and interests, designs and develops programs to meet those needs, meets with community user groups and the public to receive feedback on programs and/or program proposals, hires contractors to deliver programs, coordinates, schedules and evaluates community recreation programs, special events and activities at a variety of facilities.
- Develops, implements, schedules and maintains programs and evaluates a wide variety of recreation programs, special events and activities.
- Develops and creates the overall marketing plan for programs utilizing all media sources.
- Creates ad layout and design and performs desktop publishing for flyers, brochures and semi annual Leisure Guides.
- Works with a wide range of community groups, and School Districts to provide a variety of recreation services and effective use of community and school facilities.
- Maintains records of registrations, attendance, revenues and expenditures; makes periodic reports for programs.
- Establishes facility, equipment and material requirements; maintains inventory, coordinates the care and storage of required equipment.
- Enforces rules and regulations ensuring participants safety.
- Organizes and conducts educational clinics and workshops.
- Solicits partnerships and sponsorships to assist with the operation of programs and the generation of additional revenue.
Facility Booking and Operation
- Receives requests for gymnasium bookings, schedules bookings, and ensures staff are scheduled to cover rentals and scheduled programs.
- Collects rental documents, liability insurance, and revenues from rental groups.
- Gives direction to Custodial staff regarding the set up and take down of equipment and cleaning of facilities consistent with scheduling and programming needs.
- Requests maintenance and/or repair of facilities to ensure public safety is maintained.
- Reviews bids and prepares written or oral recommendations for maintenance and minor repair work in the gymnasiums and weight room.
- Hires, trains, motivates, evaluates, schedules, supervises, disciplines and directs the activity of contract staff and volunteers for assigned programs.
- Approves payment of program staff for services rendered.
Other Related Duties
- Investigates problems, complaints, and inquiries from the public and others and ensures appropriate and/or corrective action is taken.
- Recommends changes in policies to achieve assigned objectives based on detailed knowledge of the department’s capabilities.
- Prepares written reports for the Manager, Recreation Services.
- Prepares and submits provisional, annual and revised operating and capital budgets, and ensures that approved budgets are properly administered and controlled.
- Works closely with other City departments providing for the most cost effective use of divisional resources.
- Approves invoices and vouchers for payment of services provided and overseen by this position.
- Sits on or chairs various committees in the community as required.
- Researches and develops grant applications to support funding of recreation programs and services or grant positions.
- Work with Recreation Services staff to maximize use of facilities and programs.
Required Education and Experience:
- Certificate/Diploma in Community Recreation or similar discipline.
- Three years experience in the area of Community Recreation and programming.
- Experience working with community groups and organizations.
- Computer literate in Microsoft Office, CLASS and Quark and the use of general office equipment.
- Valid B.C. Drivers License.
- Current Basic First Aid Certificate.
- A combination of related education and experience may be considered.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Sport, Preschool and Fitness equipment.
- A thorough knowledge of principles, practices, methods and procedures of parks and recreation services.
- Ability to work both independently, cooperatively, and in a team atmosphere.
- Excellent leadership and supervisory skills.
- Proficient in desktop publishing software, used in the creation of promotional materials and the semi annual Leisure Guide.
- Ability to deal effectively with the general public on a variety of matters pertinent to Parks and Recreation.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work varied hours as necessary to meet the requirements for attending community organization meetings along with required functions and facility events.
- Knowledge of various activities, games and sports in the area of programming in which they will be involved.
- Knowledgeable of principles of risk management, ensuring participants, volunteers and staff safety.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Degree in Community Recreation or similar discipline.
- Considerable experience in the area of Community Recreation and programming with three years experience working in a municipal recreation setting.
- BCRPA Fitness Leaders Certificate, BCRPA Preschool Leaders Certificate, NCCP Coaching Certificates in a variety of sports.
- Class 4 Drivers License.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Fitness or Preschool Leader, Certified Coach.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the Internal Application Form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!