Why should you consider working for us? What we do every day makes a difference and has an impact on the quality of life for our community. We have a strong learning culture and want our people to grow and succeed, and we are a diverse, inclusive and supportive workplace.
This is an excluded position within the Recreation Services department and the successful candidates must have the ability to provide leadership for a variety of recreation programs and activities. Our programs incorporate skill development through structured and unstructured recreation activities. Recreation Leader 1 is responsible for implementing pre-planned activities. Recreation Leaders ensure that participants have a positive experience and are performing the activity in a safe manner as set out in established protocols. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Recreation Programmers.
It is essential that the ideal candidate has strong interpersonal skills, is energetic and enthusiastic, is well organized plus is able to communicate effectively (verbal and written) with all levels of internal and external contacts.
Duties May Include:
- Implementing activities as planned
- Lead quality recreation programs for preschool age children, including parent and tot classes
- Institute and enforce rules and procedures for participants
- Monitoring activities and tracking attendance
- Ensure participant welfare during all activities
- Ensure the proper handling of first aid and emergency situations
- Prepare equipment and supplies for programs or the sport
- Inspects program area and equipment (report if maintenance and repair needed)
- Act as a positive role model for co-workers and participants
- Set up and take down of equipment, etc.
- Performs and partakes in other duties and activities as required and related to the program
- Experience working in recreation programs and/or knowledge for the specific sports
- Ability to understand, follow and carry out oral and written communications.
- Must be able to deal tactfully and effectively with the public and co-workers
- Ability to be imaginative and flexible to ensure a fun environment for participants
- Ability to work as an effective team member
- Physical strength and ability to lift up to 25 pounds
- Stamina to occasionally stand and walk for a minimum of four hours.
- Ability to maintain excellent public relations with participants.
- Must have effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Current Emergency First Aid and CPR C required
- Acceptable Police Information Check with the Vulnerable Sector.
- Completion of Grade 10
Hours of work:
The terms of employment are based on recreation programs and/or activity service delivery to meet community demand. Hours of work will be linked to specific programs and/or activities typically Monday through Friday from 8:00am to 2:30pm. Hours of work and availability of work are dependent on program and or activity registrations.
The incumbent may resign from the position or may be given notice by the City of Vernon with 30 days’ notice.
Compensation for this work is $18.50 per hour plus 4% in lieu of benefits.
Please submit your resume, quoting competition Recreation Leader I - Playschool: Recreation Programs, using one of the following methods:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3705
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!