RECREATION EVENTS COORDINATOR
Job Description Under Review
Competition #: 162-COV-23
Closing Date: September 26, 2023
Annual Salary: $74,814.00 - $88,016.47
Reporting to the Manager, Customer Service - Recreation, the Recreation Events Coordinator, through effective liaising with user groups and facility renters, is responsible for the provision and coordination of outstanding events through Recreation Services. The Recreation Events Coordinator leads all aspects of this function with improved user experience, economic development, and tourism in mind.
- Works with user groups and recreation facility renters to ensure the success of their events and improved user experience.
- Acts as liaison for Recreation Services with community groups and event committees in the organization of event logistics that require City of Vernon resources and support through the Special Event Application process.
- Assists with the planning, coordinating, executing, and evaluation of initiatives and special events with a focus on community engagement and event hosting through collaboration with Recreation Services division staff and other City departments as required through the Special Event Application process.
- Attends special events and acts as an on-site supervisor, as required.
- Works collaboratively with Economic Development and Tourism and attends meetings as a Recreation Services representative, as required.
- Works with event promotors and acts as the liaison for large concerts and sport events through Recreation Services.
- Assists in the attraction, recruitment, assessment, development, and performance management of the Facility Booking Clerks and makes recommendations to the Manager, Customer Service - Recreation.
- Schedules and directs the work of Facility Booking Clerks.
- Develops and amends policies, procedures, and event standards for review by the Manager, Customer Service – Recreation.
- Develops and implements systems to evaluate events and provides recommendations for the future success of community events.
- Assists Manager, Customer Service - Recreation with the preparation of the Recreation Events annual operating budget including that approved budgets are properly administered and controlled.
- Approves timesheets, invoices, and vouchers for payment of services.
- Prepares written reports for the Manager, Customer Service – Recreation, as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- Diploma in Business Administration, Tourism, or Event Management or equivalent
- Minimum three years progressively responsible experience in event coordination and at least two years have been in a supervisory role.
- Recent experience (within the last five years) in recreation, event/tournament operations, and/or event coordination in a related field, including a minimum three years progressively responsible experience, of which at least two years have been in a supervisory role.
- Current Class 5 BC Drivers’ License
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Sound knowledge in the use of industry related computer applications including Recreation Management Software and Microsoft Office.
- Demonstrated leadership and supervisory skills.
- Excellent interpersonal abilities with a commitment to team.
- Excellent writing abilities including a thorough knowledge of business English, punctuation, and grammar.
- Exercises courtesy, professionalism, and diplomacy in addressing complex items with both internal and external customers.
- Knowledge of basic accounting practices.
- Uses a variety of general office equipment including a debit/credit machine, video surveillance equipment, and two-way radios.
- Strong organizational skills which lend to successfully working in a fast-paced environment.
- Self-starter and works well with minimal supervision.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Police Information Check.
- Ability to work a non-traditional work week and be available to work at events; evenings and weekends as required.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience in a municipal or other government environment.
- Experience working with promotors for concerts and/or events.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the Internal Application Form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!