Competition #: 196-COV-23
Closing Date: Internal applicants – November 13, 2023
External applicants – November 20, 2023
Rate of Pay: $30.44 per hour (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Band: 4 – Schedule A (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Days/Hours: Varies / 35 hours per week
Note: Shifts may fall between operational hours of 6:00am – 10:30pm
Reporting to the Manager, Customer Service - Recreation, this position provides cashiering, clerical, typing, and reception work under limited supervision, at the Recreation Services offices. This position also performs a variety of clerical work supporting a variety of functions in the pursuit of the Division mission statement, Through recreation we improve quality of life.
- Receives records, reconciles cash and cheques received, and issues tickets and/or receipt.
- Receives payment in the form of cash, cheque, Visa, MasterCard, and debit card.
- Checks and balances cash receipts.
- Prepares bank deposits as required.
- Prepares daily reports of cash receipts.
- Processes registrations in the Parks and Recreation Management Software (PRMS) software system for recreation activities and programs.
- Processes pass sales and daily admissions in the PRMS.
- Answers telephone, personal inquiries, and secures and gives out routine information.
- Types letters, reports, forms, memoranda, articles, and other material from copy, rough draft or previously prepared data.
- Updates pamphlets, advertising flyers, schedules, and updates social media.
- Acts as a clerk to division staff including, placing calls, relaying and taking messages, filing, and photocopying.
- Operates standard office equipment including the use of a two-way radio.
- Observes video surveillance equipment and responds according to established procedures.
- Provides back-up to pool staff during an emergency by calling for assistance or helping with pool evacuation as necessary.
- Performs other duties as required.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- Office Administration Certification or equivalent.
- Minimum 6 months experience in cash handling methods including receiving money, making correct change, and issuing receipts.
- A combination of related education and experience may be considered.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to exercise courtesy, tact, and diplomacy in dealing with the public and with other city personnel.
- Accurately types a minimum of 50 wpm.
- Thorough knowledge of office practices and procedures.
- Demonstrated knowledge in the use of office equipment.
- Basic knowledge of all applications of the Microsoft Office Suite including but not limited to, Access, Excel, Outlook, and Word.
- Proven clerical ability.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Basic knowledge of Perfect Mind Software.
- Previous experience working in a Recreation environment.
- Administrative Assistant Certificate (10 month course)
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the Internal Application Form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!