Competition #: 73-COV-22
Closing Date: Internal applicants – May 13, 2022
External applicants – May 20, 2022
Rate of Pay: $32.71 per hour (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Band: 6 – Schedule A (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Days/Hours: Monday to Friday / 35 hours per week
If you've heard of the Okanagan, you know how beautiful it is. Four seasons, year round outdoor adventure and a rich agricultural bounty are just some of our charms. The City of Vernon is seeking a highly motivated and experienced professional to join the Community Infrastructure and Development Services team. Vernon is a growing, evolving city and our team is dedicated to making it the greatest place in the world. If you are skilled, talented and want to make a difference, we want to hear from you. The City of Vernon offers a competitive compensation package, including enrollment in the Municipal Pension Plan.
Reporting to the Executive Assistant, Community Infrastructure and Development, this position is responsible for organizing the Division’s records and fulfilling all information requests for records as per approved corporate records management policies, as well as providing administrative support services for Committees of Council.
- Ensures the Division’s appropriate use of the City of Vernon Electronic Records Management System (ERMS) and Local Government Management Association (LGMA) Records Management System for the Division.
- Recommends changes to classes of records, as outlined in the ERMS and LGMA systems.
- Assists all departments within the Division and provides guidance to staff in records management functions under the direction of Legislative Services and through appropriate use of the ERMS and LGMA Records Management System.
- Coordinates the Division’s record maintenance including storage, destruction, and retrieval services under the direction of Legislative Services.
- Ensures awareness of and compliance with corporate record policies and procedures.
- Processes all requests for information from the Division.
- Inputs land titles data received from the BC Assessment and the Land Title Office (LTO) to the City’s database, Tempest, ensuring accurate filing and importation.
- Maintains a database for tracking requests and relevant statistics regarding responses provided.
- Requests edits of Division document templates on the ERMS.
- Responds to inquiries from the public and other City staff regarding Division files.
- Assists in the conversion of Division records from paper and microfiche to the ERMS in cooperation with Legislative Services.
- Types and circulates approved Committee agendas, in coordination with the appointed staff liaison.
- Attends Committee meetings and records minutes for review and approval.
- Prepares draft minutes within two working days of the meeting, copies, distributes and files the same in accordance with established procedures.
- Books and prepares meeting rooms, coordinates, and schedules attendance at Committee meetings.
- Provides backup for Counter Clerks, as required, to cover vacations, illnesses and other absences.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- Successful completion of an office administration or related program.
- Experience working with records management systems, municipal land products such as Tempest and Vadim, and databases.
- Minimum two years’ experience as a records clerk or equivalent.
- A combination of education and experience may be considered.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Sound knowledge of the rules, regulations, practices and procedures governing records management.
- Experience or knowledge relating to electronic records management.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with a commitment to teamwork and customer service skills.
- Accurate keyboarding speed of 55 wpm.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to exercise courtesy, tact, and diplomacy in providing services for a variety of different levels of staff and Committee Liaison members.
- Strong PC/technology skills and aptitude.
- Ability to efficiently interact and respond to inquiries with other city employees and the public.
- Strong organizational and verbal/written communication skills.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision, exercise independent judgment and knowledge, as well as exhibit tact and diplomacy when dealing with both internal and external customers.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Working knowledge of the Community Charter, Local Government Act and other statutes and regulations governing local government.
- Knowledge of Freedom of Information legislation.
Conditions of Employment:
- As a fundamental term and condition of employment with the City of Vernon, candidates will be required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the Internal Application Form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!