Competition #: 59-COV-21
Closing Date: Internal applicants – May 19, 2021
External applicants – May 27, 2021
Rate of Pay: $43.20 per hour (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Band: 14 – Schedule A (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Days/Hours: Monday to Friday, 35 hours per week.
If you've heard of the Okanagan, you know how beautiful it is. Four seasons, year-round outdoor adventure and a rich agricultural bounty are just some of our charms. The City of Vernon is seeking a highly motivated and experienced professional to join the Community Infrastructure and Development Services team. Vernon is a growing, evolving city and our team is dedicated to making it the greatest place in the world. If you are skilled, talented and want to make a difference, we want to hear from you.
Reporting to the Manager, Current Planning, this position performs a full range of technical planning support functions requiring skilled planning and regulatory work. This position supports the planning review process for development applications; provides information and interprets regulations/policies/processes; makes recommendations to development applicants and various internal and external clients.
- Provides information and interprets regulations/policies/processes associated with rezoning, development permits, subdivision (planning), and strata title conversions; processes and monitors the same.
- Reviews and assesses plans and a variety of documents related to development plans or proposals for technical accuracy and compliance with the OCP and Development Permit Areas.
- Recommends and coordinates various land use applications where required.
- Provides site specific interpretations of City bylaws, policies and regulations and/or other general planning information prior to development applications being submitted.
- Participates on a variety of Committees as assigned and attends meetings, Public Hearings, Public Information Meetings, and Council meetings as directed.
- Coordinates and participates in Technical Steering Committee meetings for major projects.
- Reviews and processes development agreements, building permits and subdivision applications.
- Reviews legal documents for registration.
- Maintains application process tracking records and data, creates and maintains databases, maintains electronic drawing and map files through the use of various automated systems.
- Receives process payments and securities for development applications and authorizes the release of securities where appropriate.
- Develops bylaws to implement the policies within the Official Community Plan.
- Reviews and implements policy and bylaw amendments.
- Assists in the assignment of road names and property addresses.
- Researches and/or prepares planning reports, diagrams and plans as required.
- Involved with the comprehensive processes related to the variety of land use, development and subdivision applications.
- Responds to inquiries related to planning, zoning, subdivisions and design control bylaws and associated policies and procedures.
- Prepares planning and subdivision reports.
- Administers security related to Development Permits.
- Reviews and signs off on planning and zoning matters related to business licence and building permit applications.
- Updates Zoning Map, Official Community Plan Map, Latecomer Bylaw Map and other planning maps and bylaws.
- Tracks applications using the Tempest Prospero program.
- Participates in the preparation of in-fill plans and other such planning initiatives.
- Prepares and presents reports to Council as requested.
- Performs other duties, as assigned.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- Completion at of a related degree supplemented by at least 2 years related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Previous experience in municipal planning functions.
- Experience with a variety of computer applications and related software.
- Valid class 5 BC Driver’s license.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- A working knowledge of the principles and practices of community planning.
- A thorough knowledge of zoning, subdivision control and planning-related bylaws as well as the City's policies and procedures governing the administration of such bylaws.
- A working knowledge of the functioning of various Boards and Committees responsible for planning matters in the City.
- A working knowledge of computer based Geographical Information Systems.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
- Ability to exercise courtesy, tact, and sound judgment in the discussion of technical planning matters with developers, consultants, City employees and members of the general public.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Member in good standing with the PIBC
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the Internal Application Form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!