PLANNER, ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT
April 1, 2019 to Dec 31, 2019 approximately or
subject to return of the incumbent
Competition #: 144-COV-18
Closing Date: January 8, 2019
If you've heard of the Okanagan, you know how beautiful it is. Four seasons, year round outdoor adventure and a rich agricultural bounty are just some of our charms. The City of Vernon is seeking a highly motivated and experienced professional to join the Community Infrastructure and Development Services team. Vernon is a growing, evolving city and our team is dedicated to making it the greatest place in the world. If you are skilled, talented and want to make a difference, we want to hear from you.
Reporting to the Manager of Economic Development and Tourism, the Planner, Economic Development provides and coordinates planning services to serve the business community, including all manner of development applications and policy development, as well as to provide support to economic development initiatives.
- Performs specialized professional level planning work in the processing of development applications, including all manner of commercial and industrial development applications and policy development.
- Provides support in implementing the Economic Development Strategy, with particular emphasis on the Business Retention and Expansion Program.
- Responds to enquiries and correspondence from businesses, realtors, other City departments, consultants, developers and various other groups concerning matters of policy, bylaws and plans governing growth, development and land use control.
- Coordinates the preparation and execution of restrictive covenants, statutory rights-of-way, easements and development agreements related to zoning and subdivision matters.
- Carries out on-site inspections relating to assigned projects.
- Acts as the Economic Development representative on Committees and Committees of Council, including the Advisory Planning Committee, Development Review Group, Board of Variance, Heritage Advisory Committee and others, as required.
- Reviews Building Permit applications and Business Licence applications for compliance with the Zoning Bylaw, Official Community Plan, Development Cost Charge Bylaw and any Council planning/land use policy or Land Use Contract governing such application.
- Participates in the development of administrative and technical systems, methods, and procedures utilized in the Planning, Development and Engineering Services Division.
- Coordinates the referrals and advertising, and writes reports related to liquor licensing applications.
- Writes reports, bylaws and studies related to planning, development applications, land use, development and subdivision matters, development guidelines and associated information materials, including presentation to Council and Public Hearings, as required.
- Implements and interprets bylaws and plans.
- Coordinates Public Hearings and information meetings, as required.
- Maintains and updates inventory of available commercial and industrial land and buildings within Vernon.
- Develops and maintains relationships with Vernon’s business community including the Greater Vernon Chamber of Commerce, Downtown Vernon Association and Community Futures North Okanagan.
- Meets with individuals examining Vernon for business opportunities, and actively promotes Vernon as a location to do business.
- Liaises with School District, Agricultural Land Commission, Okanagan Indian Band, Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure, Regional District of North Okanagan, adjacent jurisdictions and other agency staff, as required.
- Undertakes research and field inspections.
- Coordinates the operation of a Technical Steering Committee for major development applications, as required.
- Shall perform related work and duties, as required.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
- This position may perform the role of Planning Function Alternate as assigned by the City, for the assistance and coordination of the Emergency Operation Committee.
Required Education and Experience:
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices, methods, techniques and objectives of urban planning evidenced by completion of a Master’s Degree in Urban Planning or related field.
- Minimum 8 years progressively responsible current planning experience, with particular emphasis on commercial development.
- Extensive experience in the processing of development permits, variance permits, rezoning, subdivision and other development applications.
- Eligible for membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners.
- BC Driver’s Licence Class 5.
- An equivalent combination of related education and experience may be considered.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of the methodologies utilized to prepare, update and utilize zoning bylaws, land use plans and studies, including accepted statistical and research techniques.
- Thorough knowledge of local government, provincial, and federal planning legislation and regulatory requirements.
- Considerable knowledge of economics, municipal finances, and sociology, as applied to urban planning.
- Demonstrated exceptional customer service skills.
- Desire to be part of a team environment where Planning and Economic Development are fully integrated.
- Must have an extensive working knowledge of all requirements, tools, instruments and mechanisms associated with and available to both Planning and Economic Development.
- Thorough knowledge of and ability to use Microsoft Office programs.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of Vernon, using one of the following methods:
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the on-line Application for Internal Posting form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!