Competition #: 134-COV-18
Closing Date: December 23, 2018
If you've heard of the Okanagan, you know how beautiful it is. Four seasons, year round outdoor adventure and a rich agricultural bounty are just some of our charms. The City of Vernon is seeking a highly motivated and experienced professional to join the Community Infrastructure and Development Services team. Vernon is a growing, evolving city and our team is dedicated to making it the greatest place in the world. If you are skilled, talented and want to make a difference, we want to hear from you.
Reporting to the Manager, Long Range Planning and Sustainability, the Parks Planner is responsible for development of park plans and policy, acquisition and design of new parkland and the design of improvements to existing parks. The Parks Planner works closely with Planning, Engineering and Operations staff and supervises a variety of planning and capital projects.
- Prepares and makes recommendations for a wide variety of planning projects, including a Parks Master Plan, other parks planning and policy initiatives including, neighbourhood plans, Zoning Bylaw amendments and the Official Community Plan.
- Creates both conceptual and detailed designs for park improvement and landscaping for City capital projects, using AutoCAD and/or ArcGIS.
- Directs and oversees contractors for parks and landscaping construction projects.
- Makes recommendations for parkland acquisition and provides architectural and landscape design solutions based on review of development applications.
- Oversees the inspection and approval of landscaping installed as part of new development.
- Obtains stakeholder input through innovative and effective community engagement initiatives.
- Works with the development community, other levels of government and other organizations to facilitate community partnerships that enhance the park system, including parkland acquisition.
- Prepares, submits and reports on grant applications to fund park projects.
- Researches relevant data and best practices in parks acquisition, design and management.
- Provides information, direction and advice to Council, other government bodies, staff, developers, business and industry representatives and the general public on municipal policies, regulations, procedures and matters related to parks.
- Makes presentations at public meetings, to City and stakeholder committees and to Council.
- Responds to various public enquiries and explains policies and initiatives.
- Manages a parkland inventory.
- Develops park brochures and other publications related to the parks system for the general public.
- Performs other duties as required.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- Undergraduate degree in landscape architecture.
- Membership in the B.C. or Canadian Society of Landscape Architects
- Minimum 5 year’s experience in a related position preferably in both urban and natural parks planning.
- Valid BC Drivers’ License Class 5.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of landscape architecture and park planning.
- Considerable knowledge of landscape construction, materials, costs and methods.
- Considerable knowledge of best practices and trends in urban planning and sustainability.
- Ability to manage several projects at one time in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to participate effectively in a spirited team setting and in group problem solving.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as presentation skills.
- Excellent computer/technology skills and aptitude.
- Proficient in land based mapping technologies such as AutoCAD, ArcGIS and GPS systems.
- Ability to occasionally work evenings and weekends, as required.
- Knowledge of the operational health and safety regulations applicable to areas under construction.
- Valid B.C. Driver's License, Class 5.
- Ability to obtain and maintain enhanced security clearance.
Preferred Education And Experience:
- Experience in a municipal planning or parks environment.
- Eligibility for membership in the Planning Institute of British Columbia.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills And Abilities:
- Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED) training.
- Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) training.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of Vernon, using one of the following methods:
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the on-line Application for Internal Posting form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!