MUNICIPAL TECHNICIAN III - DEVELOPMENT
Effective Immediately to June 30, 2021
Competition #: 107-COV-20
Closing Date: Internal applicants – October 26, 2020
External applicants – November 2, 2020
Rate of Pay: $46.47 per hour (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Band: 17 – Schedule A (as per CUPE, Local 626, Vernon Civic Employees Collective Agreement)
Days/Hours: Monday to Friday / hours vary
Reporting to the Manager, Development Engineering, this position provides advanced technical work of a civil engineering nature and is responsible for the planning and design of municipal works as well as development review and subdivision control.
- Designs and reviews municipal works projects such as transportation, water, sewerage, and drainage facilities.
- Develops and operates computer modelling of the City's sanitary and storm sewer systems.
- Prepares engineering drawings using computer aided drafting methods.
Project Planning/Asset Management
- Co-ordinates capital works projects, which involves preparing material lists and cost estimates, obtaining design criteria such as survey, geotechnical and drafting work, and consults with Operations personnel. Outputs include Expressions of Interest and/or Request for Proposals, Tender Documents, as necessary, for the retention of consultants, and/or contractors for design construction of the works. Project manages or contract administers capital projects depending on whether or not a consultant has been retained for such services.
- Participates in preparing and revising the annual Capital Works Budget to meet the Council and City infrastructure directives.
- Initiates and provides background information, review, and provide recommendations for studies relating to area and region servicing.
- Participates with the preparation of funding mechanisms including Latecomer Bylaws, Gifting (Works Contribution) Agreements, Local Service Areas, and Development Cost Charges.
- Performs field inspections of constructed works for compliance with approved design.
- Develops and operates the City's Pavement Management System and other infrastructure maintenance programs.
- Prepares Servicing Reports related to proposed subdivisions and developments.
- Reviews building permit applications and engineering design drawings of proposed developments for compliance with City standards and Bylaws.
- Reviews and issues approval permits to utility companies for proposed construction/relocation of water, gas, hydro and telephone mains, ducts or lines.
- Develops and maintains good external contacts with applicable contractors, suppliers, distributors, Government regulatory agencies, private organizations, and utility groups on matters relating to municipal projects and industry practice.
- Resolves complaints and responds to inquiries regarding development and City bylaws, policy and requirements.
- Meets with developers, contractors, managers, other staff and general public to discuss projects, provide direction and recommendations, in accordance with City standards and requirements for proceeding with development.
- Chairs and/or assists with holding Public Meetings related to municipal engineering, development, or other City initiatives.
- Provides revisions to the Subdivision and Development Servicing Bylaw to ensure it is consistent with good engineering practice, and promotes good development practices.
- Provides technical support and writes Council Reports for Council presentations and presents reports to Council if Management staff is unavailable or require assistance.
- Investigates, researches, and prepares reports on technical issues.
- Coordinates with City staff to ensure project development, initiatives, studies and reports are carried out in a timely and efficient manner.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- Diploma in Civil Engineering Technology or a related field from an accredited technical institute.
- Eligible for registration as a Technician or Technologist in the ASTTBC.
- Minimum seven to ten years of experience in municipal engineering.
- B.C. Driver's Licence, Class 5.
- A combination of related education and experience may be considered.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Comprehensive knowledge of design concepts related to municipal engineering.
- Comprehensive knowledge of municipal, provincial and federal regulations related to land and infrastructure development.
- Comprehensive knowledge and skill with the latest version of AutoCAD, Microsoft Excel and Word, or other applicable software programs.
- Considerable knowledge of complex technical and legislative regulations regarding land development.
- Construction inspecting including construction layout, conformity with design, and tender documents, generation of deficiency lists, and documentation of site inspections.
- Ability to co-ordinate design and construction projects.
- Ability to work with no supervision.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Association with and/or knowledge of Master Municipal Construction Document, Transportation Association of Canada, and other technical infrastructure, land, or legislative associations is an asset.
- Public speaking related to projects or developments within the City.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the Internal Application Form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!